Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Arras 1917

fritz

Just learnt that my GF after he was captured on April, 9th belonged to 55th Prisoners of war coy.

Is there a chance to get any information about this unit?

Fritz

post-12337-0-16303300-1364408885_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with details of the 12th West Yorkshire Regiment on the first day of the Battle of Arras?

My great uncle - Captain William Morris died of injuries received on the 9th. I visited Wellington Quarry in Arras over

the weekend + believe the 3rd infantry division, 9th brigade fought near Tilloy les Mofflaines.

A letter from my great uncle's commanding officer says he was hit by a "sniper ensconced in a tree". This does

not seem likely. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thank you,

Dilys Morris-Jones

German units near Tilloy.

Where fought the 9th brigade?

Fritz

post-12337-0-01210500-1409160996_thumb.j

I believe the 9th brigade fought south of Arras and took the village of Tilloy before moving on to the Harp.

Would there be German snipers in trees?

I'm sure I've seen a picture of a sniper and his spotter hiding in a tree.

Also, in the IWM north in Salford, they have on display an original WW1 "Sniper hide" which is a fake tree trunk.

Regards

Ian

Dilys

A British Sniper Hide from the Great War

post-66715-0-22532200-1409175902_thumb.p

I presume the Germans had the same type of contraption

David

Dilys

There is a wonderful picture of the 12th West Yorks on the 9th April in Barton and Banning's terrific book on Arras. The picture is captioned An evidently delighted group of 12th West Yorkshire Regiment celebrating their triumph of 9 April in Arras

David

Edit: And here it is. although not quite as clear as in the book

post-66715-0-68824400-1409176925_thumb.j

I believe the 9th brigade fought south of Arras and took the village of Tilloy before moving on to the Harp.

Would there be German snipers in trees?

The map above shows various small copses around Tilloy. Despite the heavy fire of English artillery enough trees will have survived.

But I do not think a sniper in this season relatively unprotected selects a tree as position. It would be a "Himmelfahrtskommando".

Kind regards

Fritz

post-12337-0-84899300-1409225582_thumb.j

Thank you so much for your help. This is my first enquiry on the forum and I am amazed by the depth of knowledge and

the kindness in sharing information with others.

Much appreciated.

Dilys

What was your great-uncle´s battalion?

If he fought at Tilloy he probably was faced with my grandfather´s 17. Reserve-Division.

And by the way. The trees were used sometimes as observation posts. Here an example nearby at Neuville-Vitasse.

Regards

Fritz

post-12337-0-65363900-1409251996_thumb.j

Hi,

He was in the 3rd infantry division whose objective was Wancourt-Feuchy. Tilloy was in their path

76th brigade- 2nd Suffolk, 1st Gordon Hr, 8th Kings Own, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Black Line)

8th brigade - 2nd Royal Scots, 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers, 8th East Yorkshire, 7th Shropshire Light infantry (Brown Line)

9th brigade - 1st Northumberland Fusiliers, 4th Royal Fusiliers, 12th West Yorkshire, 13th Liverpool (Blue Line)

At 7:30 9th brigade advanced to Tilloy.

Where was your grandfather? Did he survive?

Dilys

post-114759-0-42902100-1409309123_thumb.

Hi Dilys,

my GF belonged to 2. Kompanie, I. Bataillon, Schleswig-Holsteinisches Infanterieregiment 163, 17. Reservedivision, IX. Reservekorps. His position on April, 9th was Telegraph Hill Trench near Neuville-Vitasse (see map). The 9th brigade must have been very near to him. Coming from Tilloy via Telegraph Hill to Wancourt the English had to pass Neuville-Vitasse, but in the rear of my GF.

Fritz

post-12337-0-13093600-1409327167_thumb.j

I forgot to say that he survived the war. He was captured on the same day by London Scottish ca. at noon.

Fritz

post-12337-0-75333700-1409327477_thumb.j

Fritz - your grandfather looks very young. Is that an Iron Cross?

So thought the interrogation officers. They asked him his age and he answered twenty-one. And that was true. They did not believe him and examined his dog tag. For the English it was important to know whether the German were forced to use very young vintages.

The photo of my grandfather was taken in Moorslede near Ypres on 03.11.1916 when he received the Iron Cross for his bravery at the Somme

• 3 years later...

Fritz;

I'm guessing that you have the answer to your question since I now have the book describing your grandfather's adventures.  It has been very valuable for me in producing a book on the various operations in and around Monchy le Preux between 1914 and 1940 and your grandfather was one of the very few to leave a description of the village before it was attacked in April. Thanks very much for the book for the posts and the pictures. They have clarified a number of things and opened up a whole new interest in what happened to the POWs.