Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Hospitals again

GordonW

I would like to know the locations of 63 and 42 General Hospitals in Salonika.

Also the meanings of '8 Con Depot' and 'F.P. No. 2'. (The latter relates to 3 days the soldier spent there for disobeying orders.)

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

No. 42 was beside the British GHQ building, which is now (and was before 1916) the Papafeio Orphanage (Google Earth 40.620000 22.964200) - it extended ESE from there as far as the ancient burial mound (the "Kalamaria Toumba") at 40.618400 22.971600.

I'm not so certain about No. 63. I've read that it was in the area of Lembet Camp north of the city for some of the time, but that's a very large area and I don't know exactly where. It may have been one of the several hospitals that spent the winter down in/near the city and decamped for the fresher air of the Hortiach Plateau in the summer.

"8 Con Depot" is No. 8 Convalescent Depot, where recovering soldiers went after leaving hospital and before being sent back to the front. Again, there were several of these depots, and I don't know where No. 8 was exactly.

"F.P. No. 2" is not a place, but Field Punishment No. 2. See this thread:

Hope this helps,

Adrian

GordonW said:
I would like to know the locations of 63 and 42 General Hospitals in Salonika.

Also the meanings of '8 Con Depot' and 'F.P. No. 2'. (The latter relates to 3 days the soldier spent there for disobeying orders.)

Gordon.

Godon,

from previous forum, log onto re: 42

Paul

Thanks Adrian & Paul,

I have just found three photocopied pages from 'The Great War' which describes the assault on the Grande Couronne.

I have scanned then and they are about 700 kB each. If you would like a copy send me a pm with your e-mail address.

Regards,

Gordon.

• 1 month later...

Dear Gordon,

63 General hospital arrived from Malta end of July 1917. It was stationed on the Salonika Serres road on the Derbend Pass. Closest village now would be Lagyna on the Egnatia Road.

42 General Hospital arrived from England in August 1916 and established in the Papafion Orphanage until September 1917 since the building was required by G.H.Q. Hospital was transferred to the Kalamaria area. In 1918 it was moved again to Uchantar, off the Monastir road, north of today Salonika suburb Diavata.

GerryL