Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
SMG65

Private 12768

SMG65

I have just finished this book and can recommend it.

It is the memoir of John Jackson, a Signaller with the 6th and 1st Cameronians.

It is not a story of disillusionment and anti-war.

John Jackson believed that the war had to be fought and won. he has a lot of the Sidney Rogerson in him.

He gives a good insight into the life of a battalion signaller, definitely not a 'cushy' number.

The last few chapters concentrate on the march into Germany and life up to end of January 1919 and shows that life was not a holiday after the 11th November, unless marching 20 miles a day in the winter, with little food can be classed as a holiday.

This is one of the few books that I have read that gives so much detail, at a personal level, on the occupation of Germany.

A good stocking filler for Christmas.

Sean

MartinWills

I've just finished reading this and must confess to some reservations. Jackson put his account together a few years after the war working from his original diaries. Whilst he weaves a good story, I was left with two key impressions. Firstly he is not wholly clear about exactly where and when he was at a number of key points in time. Secondly I was left with a real feeling that the narrative had been sanitised such that it was suitable for maiden aunts and the like. For me this detracted from the power of the tale, though I did enjoy it. I would say, however, that there are other accounts which convey a better feeling of the unpleasantry and discomfort of the Great War. Nonetheless it is a worthy account to add to any collection of first hand accounts.

Granton Chaz

Just started.Seems an ok read with short chapters which i prefer.Published in 2004

Black Maria

Just finished reading this book and enjoyed it . I was a bit disappointed that he didn't go into great detail about his involvement at Loos and the

Somme but I suppose this was because he wrote his memoirs up only eight years after the war and the memories were still raw . It's a shame

that no details were given about John's post war life or how his memoirs were discovered , although the other forum threads on this book have

helped to answer those questions for me. I think this book is a classic case of don't judge a book by it's cover ( or title) as both are quite

uninspiring whereas the book is very interesting .