Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A visit to LC Victor N. House, 1st Hants, Netley Hospital

Canadawwi

What a great photo, Marika. Now I have to try and match the nurses in my photos with those in yours - no easy task.

Happy New Year to you.

Paul

In the event that it may be possible to identify a few of the nurses, I will post another photo identified as Netley Surgical Staff. Note that the three nurses wear an award or designation, but unlike the Netley Cross medal shown in earlier posts, this one hangs from a ribbon in two colours.

There is also a group photo of the nurses working at Netley's Red Cross Hospital on post #15. I will post an enlargement to help with identifying the Nurses.

Netley_surgical_staff_1916_rsz_see_N.jpg

This is a photo of the nurses at the Red Cross Hospital, followed by detailed view. The image is from a real photo postcard in my collection.

Netley_Red_Cross_Hospital_nurses_MIP_col

post-3697-1263062588.jpg

post-3697-1263062703.jpg

Hello Marika,

I don't know what you think, I'm not very good on faces, but the nurse in post #19 bears at least a passing resemblance to the one in my picture.

Phil

post-20576-1263074178.jpg

Phil - thank you for the feedback. It can be very difficult to match faces.

Japanese Nurses

I've just found a relatively new book online The development of the Japanese nursing profession :adopting and adapting (2004)(209 pages). The author is Aya Takahashi.

Japanese Red Cross Contingent leaves Japan (December 1914)

Summarizing the information presented on pages 104 to 105, the Japanese Red Cross nursing contingent left Japan for Britain to aid the British Red Cross on December 19th, 1914. The party consisted of 22 nurses, 2 doctors, and 2 clerks. Arriving in Liverpool January 22nd, 1915, they went to London as guests of the Red Cross and War Office. They were introduced to Queen Alexandra. (This may explain the sale of souvenir post cards of the group as they received some publicity at this time).

Japanese Nurses at Netley (February to December 1915

They began their work at Netley on February 1st, 1915, at the Red Cross hospital huts. According to this source the Red Cross hospital was erected as a base hospital with 500 beds, and treated 20,227 patients between Oct. 1914 and May 1919. See earlier posts for photos of the huts and RC hospital layout, as well as interior views of the huts.

The two doctors were sent to look after four huts of the Irish hospital which was a section of the Red Cross huts. It was donated by Lord Iveagh. The entire Irish Hospital consisted of six huts for patients, and four huts for officers. These officer huts could accommodate 33 men, therefore it seems that each hut held 8 men. The interior views I have posted must not be for officers as they seem to have many more than 8 men per hut.

The Japanese contingent stayed to the end of 1915. In the Irish Hospital they treated 661 patients in 334 days of their service. However, some Japanese nurses served under English medical officers in other huts and looked after 1,892 patients during the same period.

Dr. Suzuki, Chief of the Detachment, spoke about the experience in 1916. He said that they greatly enjoyed the experience: "in no circumstances did either the English medical officers or English sisters draw any line of demarcation between them and the Japanese".

The article goes on to discuss the mission, and notes that the Queen awarded the two doctors the CMG, and the two chief nurses the Royal Red Cross. At the same time, in late 1914 the Japanese also sent nursing contingents to Petrograd, Russia, and Bordeaux, France (here under the French Red Cross Society).

Online edition

P.S. Note that in some cases these Google online versions are only viewable in North America.

• 3 months later...
Guest achadwick

hello, i am doing some research into Netley Hospital and have found this thread really interesting. I would like to use some of the pictures and the visitors pass that people have put on here. Would someone be able to let me know the protocol for using them please? do i contact the people that have posted directly?

thankyou for you help

• 3 months later...

hello, i am doing some research into Netley Hospital and have found this thread really interesting. I would like to use some of the pictures and the visitors pass that people have put on here. Would someone be able to let me know the protocol for using them please? do i contact the people that have posted directly?

thankyou for you help

It is a few months since you posted and I'm not certain if you are watching this thread. I can't contact you privately through the GWF's private messaging as you do not have enough posts to use this feature.

The photos and images connected to my posts under "canadawwi" are all images from my private collection (ie. the visitor's pass). Usually what I do is allow the use to anyone for research, but should they publish anything, I would appreciate it if my name is credited as the source of the image (M. I. Pirie). When you can get a few more posts, please contact me for further information if required as I have higher resolution versions. Other individuals would also need to be contacted for images in posts that were not by "canadawwi".

I hope this is helpful.

• 4 months later...

I have discovered today a short silent film from 1916 showing a march of amputees and other seriously wounded men who are recovering at the Welsh Hospital which was part of the Red Cross Hospital on the grounds at Netley. (See my earlier posts for more about this temporary hospital at Netley).

British Pathe - Wounded Men at the Welsh Hospital, Netley, 1916