Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

I've now completed the transcription of the BWM and VM rolls for the Buffs. After a five year slog I now have the 1914 star, 1914/15 star and SWB rolls. Combined with the MIC index, SDGW/CWGC and various other tables there are now 1,032,880 cells populated on the database. I am confident it includes every man who served overseas with the Buffs.

Now I need to decide what to do with the database. Do I publish it, put on the internet, etc? In the meantime, I have previously offered lookups for completed rolls and am now offering the same for the BWM / VM roll. There are obviously a lot of men who transferred into the Buffs from other Regiments / Corps so if you send me your email address I can supply a small spreadsheet with your area of interest. Do not send me a private message as the inbox gets filled up quickly. Look ups for individuals can be posted on this thread.

Mick

No requests - but well done on the effort. I am a little behind you on transcribing the Queen's Own Royal West Kents ... but have collated most of the info.

Between us we have Kent covered.

Regards,

Jon s

Mick

Congratulations, a fantastic achievement. It will be an invaluable resource. As to what to do with it, that's up to you but ultimately somewhere on the web seems best which would create a resource for all and would frankly would make it all worthwhile/ That;s my view anyway for what it's worth

I assume we all keep sending you stuff to flesh it out?

Well done again, I'm still under occasional pressure from Saunders to do one as well!

Regards John

Mick,

congratuations.

Just transcribing two battalions seem an enormous mount of work, and I am still only part way through this....

If you ever want help or advice on making the database available on line please get in touch.

Stuart

Mick

Congratulations on finally getting it finished. I recall the discussion about it at the database conference.

The internet seems the obvious place to publish to allow for the widest possible access. That said, I think those of us who publish major research projects like this, war memorials,,etc, need to think about lodging a "legacy copy" somewhere. Might be Regimental Museum, Local Heritage Library, or whatever.

John

Congratulations Mick. Quite an achievement.

A web-based roll may be the most useful, but a book might also be worth it- as a companion volume to "Steady the Buffs" perhaps? I wouldn't recommend publishing on cd though as someone is bound to copy it and hawk it round eBay.

Do you have the roll details of the odd men who may have entered a theatre in the Buffs post 1915 but transferred out and appear on other regiments' rolls? Other than the actual collection of roll photos that's the bit I'm really not looking forward to- but it's a long way off for me.

No requests yet, but I'm sure they'll be some eventually.

Best regards,

Matthew

Thanks for all your comments. On reflection I can't claim that the database is complete because there will always be something to add, so any info you have would be gratefully received.

I think it would be best on the web. To publish it would be very expensive and there isn't the audience for a couple of volumes of names and numbers. Stuart I will probably contact you for some advice on how to get this off the ground.

John, you are absolutely correct. I need to lodge this somewhere.

Matthew, it is virtually impossible to capture the rolls of the men who transferred out, so I shouldn't worry about it. This is why I have offered data for men who came into the Buffs. There is a spirit of cooperation on this forum and the more info we can share the more likely we are to capture the transferees. I have the basic details from the MIC's but obviously no battalion data.

Mick

Congratulations Mick, that is quite an achievement. You are a bit ahead of me, and I am glad to be doing only 2 battalions (as well as what I can find of the 3rd that did not go overseas). However, we Londoners also have the dates into and out of each theatre to enter for each man... well thats my excuse.

I'd go for a web based thingy and a book. Would be very interested to see some stats.

Dont forget the Absent Voter Lists ;) great for those who did not serve overseas.

Could this be the catalyst for another Conference?

Perhaps something along the lines of general research subjects so that we don't go over too much previously trodden ground?

Just a thought.

Ken

Well done Mick, congrats on a lot of data entries. I copied some discs for you from my hardrive at the last database conference with the Buffs that served in the RB Territorial battalions, if you need the other buffs that went into the regular and service battalions of the Rifle Brigade let me know.

Well done again.

Andy

Cheers Andy, i'll email you with the Rifle Brigade.

Paul, I'll try and make it to the next gathering. I'm also hoping to give a demo at a WFA meet when it's convenient.

Ken, another conference would be good - the last one went down very well.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mick,

well done that man, and what an effort. Do you have this man 4053 Private Henry W. HORSLEY (also served Labour Corps). Thanks heaps in advance.

Cheers,

David

Well done! Feet up now and take a well deserved rest.

Bernard

Mick - 5 years ! Well done you.

Adams printers in Dover is very competetive if you decide to go with a book. All the local history bods around here use them for books of 'then and now' and 'Dover in old postcards' types of thing.

Or go the way of web with 50p per look-up, that way you get something back for your hard work and expenses - I'm sure no-one here would object to 50p a look !

Mick very well done. I have a BWM/VM pair to G/13926 Pte. Joe Welch could you look up this chap and let me know any more details that are given please.

Regards John

Only just come across your post Mick, well done, I know its a labour of Love.

Annette

Details of a Buffs man I researched.I don't know if this is any use to you, If not disregard it.

post-13680-1199127652.jpg

Pte Leonard William Arnell L7007

1st East Kent Regiment

Presumed dead 28/9/15

Date of entry 7/9/14

entitled to 1914 Star, Clasp & Roses

BWM

Victory Medal

Date of death on CWGC 28.9.15 2nd East Kents

Commemorated on the Loos Memorial (picture of his Name included) I visited

there in April this year.

Born St Pancras

Lived Chichester

enlisted Chichester

He joined the Buffs between 10 and 16 October 1902

Originally in 1st Btn East Kents, 16th Regiment, 6th Division

and at some point transferred to 2nd Btn East Kents, 85th brigade, 28th Division

He was killed 28/9/15 during the attack near Hohenzolleren redoubt during Loos offensive.

Neil

Hi Mick - great piece of work.

Can you look up Henry Hambrook Hammond?

Cheers

Gunner Bailey

David

Henry William Horsley. Enlisted last week of October 1914. Served with 8th Buffs arriving in France with them on 31/8/1915. Transferred to Labour Corps and discharged to Army Reserve Class Z 21/3/1919.

John

Joe Welch. Joined the Buffs in the first quarter of 1917 although he may have been a Derby man who signed up in late 1915. Served with the 1st Buffs and later signed up as a regular in Feb / March 1919 with number L11680. Ended up as a Lance Corporal.

Neil

Arnell's papers survived. If you do not have access to ancestry, let me know and I'll precis his service for you.

Gunner Bailey

Is this G6957 HH Hammond? If so he enlisted in the last quarter of 1914. He went overseas to join the 1st Buffs on 24/8/1915 and served with them until discharge to class Z on 3/4/1919.

Thanks for everyone else's comments

Mick

Gunner Bailey

Is this G6957 HH Hammond? If so he enlisted in the last quarter of 1914. He went overseas to join the 1st Buffs on 24/8/1915 and served with them until discharge to class Z on 3/4/1919.

Mick

Hi Mick

The service details tie up but I don't have the serial number to hand. That would be on his medals elsewhere in the family. I'll check, but I think you are right. Regarding the enlistment, the family have a cricket club fixture list for HH's club in 1914 and the games played end in August, so I would think enlistment would problably have been early September so it ties up. There's also a postcard showing he went to France via Southampton.

Many thanks

GB

Neil

Arnell's papers survived. If you do not have access to ancestry, let me know and I'll precis his service for you.

Mick

I don't have access. I'd be very interested to see whats on ancestry. Thanks

Neil

Mick,

many thanks for the info on Henry HORSLEY (8th Buffs). This certainly filled in some more gaps. Once again, a great effort on this monumentous task you've undertaken.

Cheers,

David

Mick, could you do me a lookup please ? B)

My maternal grandfather..... Reginald Bailey from Canterbury. Was in the East kent Regiment and saw lots of service in India. Was in Burma thru 1919 I think. Is that enough ? Thanks.