Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery location

anthony

Anyone hazard a guess at the location of the 1/4th Battalion Kings Own Royal lancaster regiment on this photo? Somewhere in Belgium?........

post-2-1074903822.jpg

A late war winter. No box respirators in sight. Somewhere way behind the lines or has the war ended? - Leuze, Ath, Brussels?

To be honest, there is a resemblance of the road in the background to the road to Houffalize in Bastogne, but I don't think the Kings Own were ever there, nor any British unit (I think US units entered this part of Belgium).

Dave.

Nice photo!

I think the cafe building on the right has the sign 'In 't nieuw Ukkel'. Ukkel is the Flemish spelling of an area of Brussels, which is alternatively spelled Uccle. Could be there.

Do any of our Belgian Pals know Ukkel? Is it hilly? I've worked in the adjacent suburb in Vorst (at the Diamant Boart company if you're interested), and seem to remember that being rather flat.

I wonder if all the flags are a clue? As Dave suggests, it might be the end of the war. The battalion was near Ath on 11.11.18 (one of Dave's suggestions) but I've never been there so have no idea what it looks like.

Tom

I reckon I was right with Ukkel.

The building on the left is called 'Cafe au vue de la Maison Communale' ie 'view of the town hall'.

Now take a look at this page, which has a 360 degree virtual view of the place outside the Ukkel town hall. You need to move 180 degrees around, so your back is to the town hall.

The cafe is still there, although the building on the right has gone.

The lads of the 1/4th are facing the Ukkel town hall. The photographer appears to have been standing on the edge of the raised, grassy area of the square, looking slightly downwards at the troops who are probably three feet or so lower than he is, on the road in front of the cafes. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Dave, Tom, Chris,

I think you have cracked it! When I saw the 180 degree view of the town of Ukkel it spurred me to dig ou this accompanying snap.....

post-2-1074982114.jpg

Here's a paragraph from the Battalion history by Wadham and Crossley which seems to fix the date around Christmas 1918. Brilliant detective work lads!

post-2-1074982786.jpg

• 4 years later...
Anyone hazard a guess at the location of the 1/4th Battalion Kings Own Royal lancaster regiment on this photo? Somewhere in Belgium?........

Anthony,

I am a new member to the Great War Forum and note that you have a photograph of soldiers possibly outside a cafe in Uccel.

Unfortunately the photograph no longer exists on the web site is it possible to add another copy to the forum.

I would be very grateful.

I am looking for my grandfather who was in the 7th then 1/4th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

His name was James Alfred Onions.

Thanks would be really grateful

Nick Sutton

Anthony,

I am a new member to the Great War Forum and note that you have a photograph of soldiers possibly outside a cafe in Uccel.

Unfortunately the photograph no longer exists on the web site is it possible to add another copy to the forum.

I would be very grateful.

I am looking for my grandfather who was in the 7th then 1/4th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

His name was James Alfred Onions.

Thanks would be really grateful

Nick Sutton

Nick,

Can you provide any more details about your grandfather. I can't find him listed in the King's Own Medal Rolls - did he do all his service in the UK or did he serve under a different name?

Best wishes.

Andy.

I reckon I was right with Ukkel.

The building on the left is called 'Cafe au vue de la Maison Communale' ie 'view of the town hall'.

Now take a look at this page, which has a 360 degree virtual view of the place outside the Ukkel town hall. You need to move 180 degrees around, so your back is to the town hall.

The cafe is still there, although the building on the right has gone.

The lads of the 1/4th are facing the Ukkel town hall. The photographer appears to have been standing on the edge of the raised, grassy area of the square, looking slightly downwards at the troops who are probably three feet or so lower than he is, on the road in front of the cafes. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Nick,

Can you provide any more details about your grandfather. I can't find him listed in the King's Own Medal Rolls - did he do all his service in the UK or did he serve under a different name?

Best wishes.

Andy.

Thank you very much for replying so quickly. He was originally in the Kings Own Royal Lancaster 7th then according to diaries joined possibly the 1/4th. According to the book I have just read by John Hutton the 1\4 th were based at Uccel for a while.

My Grandfathers Medal roll is under the AOC to were he was eventually transferred. He deserted according to the Medal Roll in 1920.

The last that was heard of him (this in itself is a long story) was working in a Cafe in 1940 just outside Brussels. It all fits too well doesn't it?

Any information you can supply would be appreciated and if you have a copy of the phot mentioned in earlier correspondence listed I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again for replying.

Nick Sutton