Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

46th N.Midland DIV and FORESTER BDE

Guest dfconcon

Hello Forum,

I'm doing research about the GW and the SHERWOOD FORESTERS. My WW2 reenactment unit of also the same regiment were thinking about doing the 139th Inf Bde also known as the FORESTER Brigade of the 46th N.Midland Div and were curious if their division patch was the same as in WWII: The Sherwood Forest Oak? Do any of you know the answer or can you direct me to either a website or book which covers the BEF formation patches of that era. Appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks,

Darwin

:)

There are others who can possibly advise you better than myslf but I believe the 46th (NM) DIV patch was a maroon/red over green horizontally halved oblong set within a white outline.

the 46th Divisional patch consisted of a rectangle of 2 colours, the top half scarlet; the lower half green. The rectangle was surrounded by a white border.

Jacky

During the Great War, the units of 46th (North Midland) Division did not wear the divisional sign on their uniform. Instead they wore combinations of coloured cloth patches and painted insignia on uniform and helmets. The known combinations worn by 139th Brigade (whose patches were all in Dark Green (Lincoln Green was the facing colour of the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment (Sherwood Foresters)) were as follows:

1/5th Sherwood Foresters - Square

1/6th Sherwood Foresters - Square on its point (Diamond)

1/7th Sherwood Foresters - Maltese Cross

1/8th Sherwood Foresters - Horizontal Oval

These patches were worn on the backs of tunics, below the collar, from c.June 1916 and transferred to the upper arms in 1918.

The unit identification displayed on transport was the divisional sign (left); a blue square indicating, “first line transport” (centre); and the battalion insignia (right). Both the divisional sign and battalion device were outlined in white.

Devices on uniform appear to have been worn by officers on the back of their jackets, below the collar. This scheme was in use from the summer of 1915 by at least one battalion in 139th Brigade, (1/8th Sherwood Foresters), and consisted of two vertical bars in green cloth. The other ranks of 1/8th Bn also wore a green square of cloth behind their cap badge during 1915, using the baize of an old billiard table to replenish their supplies in November 1915. By mid-1918, further devices were also painted onto left side of the steel helmets. The insignia consisted of a blue square with a green bar placed either below or at either side to denote the battalion.

I hope this information helps!

Thank you forum,

I want to thank everyone for the prompt and excellent responses to my enquiry. My last enquiry would be that of the dimensions of the patches for behind the collar and on the sleeves and helmet ensignia.

Thanks,

Darwin

SHERWOOD FORESTERS :)

Darwin

I don't have exact measurements, but looking at photographs of men wearing the cloth patches taken in 1918 when they were worn on the arms these were approximately 2.5-2.75 inches square - bear in mind that these were locally produced by the unit tailors so measurements varied.

The painted helmet insignia was approximately 3 inch square with 1x3 inch bar.

The cloth badge backings worn by 1/8th Sherwood Foresters were just slightly larger than the cap badge - a bit like the backing worn by the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters today on their berets.

Andrew