Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

England Regiments

Guest danm_b2

This man in the photo i'm trying just to track a name. I was wondering if it is possible from doing that with this photo. It was taken in Dewsbury, and I think he's a corporal and the number on his collar is 26 (even though you cannot see it).

post-1-1074890111.jpg

He is a policeman, the two inverted stripes are for long service and good conduct in the police force. 26 is his warrant number, Dewsbury Borough Police was formed in 1863 and amalgamated into the West Yorkshire Police in 1968. I collect police histories, but have very little on Dewsbury. Style of Uniform suggests late 1870s, early 1880s

Tintin, thankyou for replying to my post, I had no idea he was a policeman. Using the information you gave me would it be possible to go futher and find his name?

Dan

The records for the West Yorkshire Constabulary and Dewsbury Police are at Wakefield Archives Office and you can view them if you get permission from W. Yorks Police Personnel at Wakefield.

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/hq.htm

The man in the photo is actually a police officer so if you know anything more about police historys than what is stated here please let me know.