Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Division Signals Company

albert arnold

I have been doing some research into my great uncle Lennox James Houston (see thread in Soldiers Forum) who died on 16th August 1917 during the early stages of Passchendaele. Can anyone throw any light for me on the activities of 8th Division Signals Company at that time, or in the previous year. I am particular keen to find out what he might have won his MM for.

Thanks.

AA

Your unit would probably have been attached to one of the three RE Field Companies allocated to 8 Division,they were 2,15 and 490. Within the Division were 4 Brigades, 23,24,25 and 70. One solution may be that you have to discover which War Diary may have note of his exploits. They are:

WO95/1697 for 2 Field Company,period Nov 1914 to April 1919.

WO95/1698 for 15 Field Company,period Sep 1914 to April 1919,and,

WO95/1700 for 490 Field Company,period Jan 1917 to April 1919.

All are readable at Kew,and orderable on line,but until you know for sure which one you need,not practical.For info Kew is closed to visitors until 16 December.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

PS Someone here might be able to give you the London Gazette entry for his MM.

I'm afraid that 8 Divisional Signal Company had nothing at all to do with the Field Companies of that division, but was a separate entity, providing signals support to the Division.

It had its own war diary, which can be found at the National Archive in WO 95 / 1701.

Terry Reeves

Hello Sotonmate and Terry Reeves,

Thanks very much for your suggestions and information - I shall look up the relevant documents when I get to Kew, or on-line. It's very helpful to have the actual reference for the war diary.

In the meantime, do you (or anyone esle) have information about the whereabouts of 8th Division HQ (and specifically its signals company of course) on 16th August 1917, when, according to the LLT divisional info they must have been in or near Langemarck?

Thanks,

Albert Arnold

• 12 years later...

Hi Albert,

Not sure if you are still looking but my Grandfather was in the 8th Signals and won his MM at the same time 15-18th Aug 1917. 

I have the Dairy and it shows your uncle 121265 Pioneer Houston as killed on the 18th August.  He was attached to the 25th infantry Brigade at the time.  The dairy states:

6.30am. No direct line through to 25th inf Bde but line through from Birr Cross Roads to Zeil House. Situation regards runner chain is vague, all spare runners from Birr x roads sent to Zeil House to fill gaps and 2 linesmen sent to 25th Bde advanced station.  24th inf Bde report they are in touch with 25th Bde.

9.00am:  Still no definite news from 25th Bde Lt Richardson detailed to proceed with an orderly to Zeil House to ascertain situation.

9.15am Party of 1 NCO and 3 operators and 4 runners from 24th bde sent to Birr Cross Roads forward signal office to relieve situation.

10.30am  24th Bde ordered upto Birr Cross Roads.

1.00pm Definate news received from Lt Richardson as to position of 25th signal section. owing to killed wounded and missing (casualties received moving upto forward position) the section officer is carrying on with 1 NCO and 3 signallers, short of pigeons, cable, telephones and small stores.  

There is no direct ref to how or why any member is killed or why he was recommended for the MM but from the 25th signals section there were 2 killed and 9 wounded that day.  There were reports of heavy breakages of lines (22 in one section) but good communications all day, so a valiant testament that the men went out and fixed the lines. Your uncle was awarded the MM that month along with sergeant EJ Davies both No 4 section a note states both since killed in action) 3 other men from 4th section won the MM. Zeil house was approx 600 yards behind the from line but signal stations were run from here to the front and sometimes followed the attacking waves of inf .  If you want a ref for the attack try 'The 8th Division 1914-18 by Lt Colonel J H Boraston and Cpt Cyril E. O. Bax.  Hope this helps.  I have one photo of a group of signallers with my GG but I am not sure what section he belong to, yet!  Trying to find out. 

All the best and if I can help any more I will try

Martin

The WDs of the A&QMG 8 Div has lists of Decorations Awarded for Gallantry and Devotion attached to each month. The August 1917 list names thirteen MM recipients from 8 Div Sigs Co. 

Ancestry Div HQ - 8 Div - piece1682/1-4 p 84.

Brian

That seems to have more detail. The signals WD only listed its medal winners for August. The rest are a side note in the daily reports. Does yours have a ref to  sapper A Doherty. It would be either the same month but possibly the September. If it does and shows any details like what section he was in I would be v interested to know. 
thanks

M