Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finnish Independance

MartH

Today is 90th Anniversary of the Finnish Diet on Dec. 6, 1917 declaring Finnish Independence. The real fighting took place in spring 1918, but this was the being of the end of Russian occupation.

Tonight in Finland many windows will have candles burning brightly in the windows, and the odd glass of schnapps will be drunk in memory.

Mart

Today is 90th Anniversary of the Finnish Diet on Dec. 6, 1917 declaring Finnish Independence. The real fighting took place in spring 1918, but this was the being of the end of Russian occupation.

Tonight in Finland many windows will have candles burning brightly in the windows, and the odd glass of schnapps will be drunk in memory.

Mart

Mart

Here's to Finland! Also, oddly enough, the 90th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion when a French munitions ship caught fire and exploded in the harbour killing over (I think) 2000 and wounding a further 9000. Biggest man made explosion ever, until the A Bomb, I'm told. Frankly, I like yours better. Now, where did I put my Finlandia vodka? :lol:

Colin

Colin

Already told my mum the other 90th, and can't wait to tell my Aunt in Finland tomorrow, I celebrated with a blend of schapps called Marskin Ryyppy, which traditionally is a blend that came out of WW2 competition by Marshal of Finland Mannerheim, and must have amused the troops wonderfully. Finlandia is good, so Kosenkorva. There are many parties this weekend or ones started tonight end that on Sunday...

Nice to be able to remember and pay respects to something more than a battle ( which I hasten to add I do too).

Mart

PS my Aunt used juniper for the wreath she laid today, but she forgot her uncle, now we have to relocate his grave, whos' death Mannerhiem commented to my Grandfather on at the great parade in Vasa where the Jaegers landed, so today has triggered more remembrance, and searching.