ROSER, AUGUSTUS HOUSTON

Initials: A H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/09/1918

Service No: G/2186

Awards: DCM

Additional information: Son of John Thomas and Agnes Elizabeth Roser, of 55, North St., Leighton Buzzard. Native of Wimbledon, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. D. 31.

Cemetery: COMBLES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Soldiers died gives the same information.

Could he of died at the Second Battle of Bapaume. 31 Aug-3 Sep 1918.

I have also had a look at the London Gazette archive of his citation. Shows award for DCM on the 22/08/1918. Just before he died, so I guess he never saw his DCM.

If anyone could provide me with some more details on this soldier that would be great.

All the best Rowland.

Information taken from Chapter XIX pages 189-205 of The History of the East Surrey Regiment Vol. III (1917-1919) by Col. H. W. Pearce, D.S.O. & Brig-Gen., H. S. Soloman, C.M.G., D.S.O. This chapter gives a good account of the action that the 8th Battalion where involved in during August to November 1918.

Page 194, for acts of conspicuous gallantry during the Battle of Albert, 21st-24th Aug. 1918, Sergt. A. Roser is listed along with Pte. A King as receiving the D.C.M.

On the 1st Sep. the day Sgt. Roser, was kia. a big operation had been planned and the 8th Battn was to attack to the south of the village of Combles. Advancing along the southern side of the ridge running from Le Priez Farm to Rancourt, the Battalion was then to seize the line of the Peronne-Bapaume road on a frontage of 900 yards from the northern end of Rancourt.

The attack, which proved to be one of the most successful in the Battalion’s history, companies were allotted the following task. 'A' Company were ordered to seize Le Priez Farm, which lies halfway between Combles and Rancourt, and consolidate the ridge on which it stood. 'C' Company, avoiding as far as possible the fighting round the farm, was to work its way along south of that position and seize the spur running north and south on the eastern side of the Combles-Sailly-Saillisel valley. 'B' and 'D' Companies were then to pass through 'C' Company and seize the western edge of St. Pierre Vaast Wood, 400 yards northeast of Rancourt…………

Additional information: Son of John Thomas and Agnes Elizabeth Roser, of 55, North St., Leighton Buzzard.

Rowland

I have checked & Sergeant Roser does not appear on the Leighton Buzzard Memorial I'm afraid.........perhaps he is listed on the Wimbledon one

Guest Ian Bowbrick

There is a website dedicated to the East Surreys - check google - I have forgotten the web address.

The museum at Clandon Park may be able to give you more information.

Ian :)

• 11 years later...

Hello I have come across a family headstone in Vandyke Cemetery, Leighton Buzzard where he us remembered. I have a photo if required.

The regimental museum was destroyed in the fire at Clandon park this spring. fortunately the regimental archive is at the county archives in Guilford. Two ex service firemen of surrey fire service were able to dash in and rescue the colours of the 1st and 2nd battalions moments before the floors collapsed. an extensive display of medals including several museum replica vcs and the mess silver were lost. I believe the website is that of the Queens regimental association which also covers the east surreys.

Edited by Old Scalyback

• 2 years later...

He is not listed in the list of men from Leighton Buzzard who served in the Great War published in the Leighton Buzzard Observer in 1919.

This also stated that 55 North Street was the home of Mrs. Dimmock, who had two sons who served.
It is therefore likely that his parents did not move from Wimbledon to Leighton Buzzard until well after the end of the war.