Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge 1918 HMS Vindictive

dean mans

Hi all

Can anyone help.

My grandfather died recently, he left me hid Dads & Brothers Medals.

He himself was a fitness indtructor for the Royal Navy.

My Mother tells me my great grandfather was Master at Arms on the HMS vindictive during the Zeebrugge invasion, His name Henry Champion. Master at Arms?

Also she said my g'fathers brother also served also during this time, Name Harry Champion. I don't know what posistion he held.

I have searched high and low for information on my 2 relatives to see if they had served on HMS Vindictive during the zeebrugge invasion and i can't find anything.

i would be so delighted if anyone can help with any information or can lead me to someone who may be able to help.

Good Luck ALL

Pending searches, can say that 'Master at Arms' is a Merchant Navy rank, rather than Royal Navy.

If it is the correct rank, then maybe he served on one of the ferries used in the raid?

Ian

I can't find a Champion on the Zeebrugge muster lists for Vindictive, Iris or Daffodil. Using the service numbers for both relatives inscribed on the medals, you should be able able to find their service records on the National Archives website at a cost of £3.50 each.

Pending searches, can say that 'Master at Arms' is a Merchant Navy rank, rather than Royal Navy.

If it is the correct rank, then maybe he served on one of the ferries used in the raid?

Ian

Hi Ian

Then maybe not master at arm,

On the medals i have is H. Champion r.p.o HMS VINDICTIVE

Also H.Champion L.S .RN HMS VINDICTIVE

AND ONE WITH L.S.R.N 1914-1919

I Don't know if that helps.

Many Thanks

I've found one Master at Arms on Zeebrugge muster, a Charles Dunkason who received DSM. Here is London Gazette entry:

To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.

H.M.S. Vindictive.

M.A.A. Charles George Dunkason, O.N. 191301 (Po.).

Isn't R.P.O. Regulating Petty Officer? Probably just lower in rank than the Master at Arms.

Hi,

Master at Arms is most certainly a Royal Naval rank instigated in the 17th century, he was the senior man on the lower deck and as such was the only man on the lower deck to carry a sword and wear a frock coat.

Regulating Petty Officer is equivalent to a Ships Corporal 1st Class and was instigated with the Regulating Branch on the 22nd July 1919.

Having RPO on his medal states he was in the Ships Police/Regulating Branch. It would be worthwhile tracing his Naval Record, as Vindictive(Blockship) was sunk (10/05/1918) before the RPO existed. The next rank up from Regulating Petty Officer is Master At Arms so he could well have made it to the rank.

Regards Charles

Hi,

Master at Arms is most certainly a Royal Naval rank instigated in the 17th century, he was the senior man on the lower deck and as such was the only man on the lower deck to carry a sword and wear a frock coat.

Regulating Petty Officer is equivalent to a Ships Corporal 1st Class and was instigated with the Regulating Branch on the 22nd July 1919.

Having RPO on his medal states he was in the Ships Police/Regulating Branch. It would be worthwhile tracing his Naval Record, as Vindictive(Blockship) was sunk (10/05/1918) before the RPO existed. The next rank up from Regulating Petty Officer is Master At Arms so he could well have made it to the rank.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles

Excellent many thanks.

On another medal inscribed on back is H.Champion A.B.R.N Medal is a star crown on top crossed with2 swords with circular wreath with a V inside a G scribed 1914-15 With all medals inscribe H.Champion i cant work out if they are for great grandfather or Great Uncle lol

Thanks again

Hi Dean,

The medals you list, though having two different numbers, are to one man, Herbert Champion. If you follow the link I gave you you can pull off the two records of service. The medal with Vindictive on sounds like a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal. He would have served on the Vindictive much later than the Zeebrugge raid, and the rank of Regulating Petty Officer, as has been pointd out, is also a later rank. If he had served at Zeebrugge, it would say so on his record of service.

Cheers, Dom

Description Name Champion, Herbert

Official Number: J15219

Place of Birth: Ashford, Kent

Date 19 March 1895

Catalogue reference ADM 188/677

Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Series Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services

Piece 15001-15500

Official Number: M35830

Date 19 March 1895

Catalogue reference ADM 188/1089

Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Piece 35501-36000

Hi Dean,

The medals you list, though having two different numbers, are to one man, Herbert Champion. If you follow the link I gave you you can pull off the two records of service. The medal with Vindictive on sounds like a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal. He would have served on the Vindictive much later than the Zeebrugge raid, and the rank of Regulating Petty Officer, as has been pointd out, is also a later rank. If he had served at Zeebrugge, it would say so on his record of service.

Cheers, Dom

Official Number: J15219

Date 19 March 1895

Catalogue reference ADM 188/677

Piece 15001-15500

Official Number: M35830

Date 19 March 1895

Catalogue reference ADM 188/1089

Piece 35501-36000

Hi Dom

Manny many thanks

your a star

Dean

Vindictive, ex-Cavendish. Improved Birmingham class cruiser. She was converted to an aircraft carrier. From memory, commissioned before the Armistice.

Sounds to me as if he was a "Crusher" in her.