Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

list of DCM holders

Guest Stephen

Stephen - I have a copy of:

Recipients if the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920 by R. W. Walker.

ISBN 0 907455 00 X

Published by Midland Medals in 1981.

Myrtle - The book is set out in Regimental precedence and alphabetically within each Regiment.

In general it shows the following info:

i. Regimental #

ii. Rank

iii. Surname

iv. Initials

v. Battalion, Brigade or Company details if stated in the citation

vi. Theatre of war other than France & Flanders if stated in citation

vii. London Gazette Citation date.

An example of an entry for the Royal Scots is:

31424 CSM Cownie, S. DCM, MM. 13th Bn. BAR: 5/12/18. He won his first DCM in 1900.

Hope this is of help.

The Naval and Military Press (01825 749494) at one stage published small soft back booklets containing the Great War DCM citations for each regiment. I have one for the Royal Warwickshire Regt. Some of these for other regiments might still be available.

Terry

Myrtle - Just to add to my last, the book covers all British units including the RNVR, RFC/RAF, Gymnastic Staff and also Aussie, Canadian, NZ, British West Indies, India, Newfoundland, Rhodesia, South & East Africa and the Zion Mule Corps.

lee and terry thanks for your help on this matter

lee

is there an entry in you book for an

Pte 6172 Alac Boylett DCM of the 2nd Bn Machine Gun Corps (Inf) who died on 27 10 1918 age 20

he was a local man to me

stephen

spage20025@aol.com

I can't find anything in the MGC or the Royal Sussex Regt that he previously served in (# 10792).

The SDGW states he died of wounds in France and Flanders but the CWGC says he is buried in Italy!

I'll have a look through the whole book to see if he is listed with another unit.

Dave - Cheers, never knew that.

Stephen - I cannot find ANY Alec Boylett, or any Boylett, in the book. I checked, obviously, in the MGC section first and then the Royal Sussex Regt and then in desperation all the British units, but nothing.

lee

thanks for all your help it seems funny that he is not listed anywere in the list and Italy does seem to be a strange place to have been.

its a shame because he is the only chap from the St johns area to have been awared a DCM.

I will keep looking

stephen

• 15 years later...

I am also looking for Alec Boylett's award (Birth was registered as Alic), he was killed during the Passage of the Piave, so not so unusual, his body was recovered from the River in 1924.
One of 14 children, it looks like Alec joined up in response to his elder brother Frederick of the East Yorks having been lost on the First day of the Somme.
The ONLY reference anywhere to a DCM I can find is on the "landing page" for him in the CWGC database there is no reference on any of the Paperwork currently displayed so I doubt the award made it to the Headstone. I'm at Maidenhead tomorrow and will have a dig in the archives.

I wonder if it’s a transcription error from the hand amended Cemetery register. See RSM Burton.

52E119DA-C1AA-42EC-A41E-1AE2AD8FCDC4.jpeg

Edited by johntanner

It appears highly likely .... I am actually at Maidenhead Thursday, not Wednesday.

Edited by tbirduk