Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7 West Riding Regiment

shinglma

I'm looking at a page from the West Riding Regiment medal rolls which seems to involve a group of men transferred from the ASC to 1/7 West Riding Regiment.

Does anyone know when this transfer took place?

Regards

Mike S

post-627-1196730505.jpg

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your post. I have noticed the block of numbers allocated to men transferred from the ASC to 1/7 West Riding Regiment whilst 'building' the Roll. I'll keep an eye open for any references to a large transfer of these men and let you know. Do you have any other pages from the West Riding Regiment medal rolls for the 7th Battalion ? Thanks again.

Regards

Ron

Hi,

Papers for 47365 George Brindle (the last name on the page) are on-line at Ancestry.co.uk, where all is explained!

It took place on the 2nd of June 1918.

Regards,

Martin

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the pointer to Papers for 47365 George Brindle. I'll check for any others from my Roll to confirm they were all in a single draft.

Regards,

Ron

I see that they are transfered from the RASC not ASC the change in name I believe took place on 25.11.1918

I'm not sure you can draw any significance from the nomenclature as the medal roll wasn't compiled until May 1920.

Regards

Mike S

Papers for 47365 George Brindle (the last name on the page) are on-line at Ancestry.co.uk, where all is explained!

It took place on the 2nd of June 1918.

Martin

That's just what I was looking for (though for some reason I failed to find him on Ancestry). I'll check out another couple of names when Kew reopens in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks for the information

Regards

Mike S

My grandfather, Pte Arthur Roberts joined the ASC in September 1917 and at some stage transferred into the West Riding Regiment. His medals show the number 30149 in the WR Regiment. Here's a link to his downloaded MIC.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/ARobertsMIC.jpg

I haven't managed to get to the National Archives yet, although I plan to do so in the new year. presumably his ASC number was 343562.

Would the lower regimental number indicate an earlier transfer, or might different battalions just start their numbers from different starting points?

I would appreciate any information that might help to develop my very limited knowledge of a grandfather I never knew.