Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

After a bit more advice

harps

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm looking into Gunner Owen Roberts. His medal card tells me he was in the RFA and gives two Regimental No's - TF701647 & 161282.

It gives a Medal Roll number of RFA/2418 page 34311 (must be a big book!).

How can I find out what part of the RFA he served in? I take it that will be the best way to find where he served during the war?

Many thanks

Ross

Re-posted as the internet seemed to wobble when I tried the first time!

Jon,

No mention of date at all from what I can remember. I'll double check tonight, but I'm 99% sure there wasn't. He was entitled to the British War and Victory medals, so is it safe to assume he didn't go to a Theatre until 1916?

Is it normal for a RFA man not to have details on his medal card of where in the RFA he served?

Cheers

Ross

Hello Ross,

I'm no expert but I think Gunner Owen Roberts first Regimental No TF701647 is from the batch allocated to the 1st East Lancashire Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. They were based in the Blackburn/Burnley area with the 4th Battery at Blackburn, 5th Battery at Church, 6th Battery at Burnley and the Ammunition Column at Blackburn. The East Lancs Brigade were part of the 42nd Division (see The Long Long Trail). Can't help with the second number 161282, but this indicates a transfer at some time. The Medal Roll number RFA/2418 page 34311 could show the Battery(s) he served with. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Interesting - thankyou very much for the info.

I know he was from Anglesey, and I'd assume he would join up locally. With the RFA, would you go to a local Artillery Regiment (battery?) like with the Infantry? I guess a 'local' regiment may be some way off as there would be less regiments to join than Infantry?

Cheers,

Ross

Hello Ross,

Did he live all his life in Anglesey or did he move to Industrial Lancashire in search of work ? The East Lancashire Brigade RFA were Territorials and usually would recruit men from the locality. Which of the two numbers is shown first on his MIC?

Regards

Ron

Hi Ross,

I think it's safe to assume that without the Star he wasn't overseas prior to 1916. The first number that Owen was given would have been 161282, during March/April 1917 the new TF 701647 was issued during the renumbering of the TF, since both numbers are on the MIC it would suggest to me that he was overseas when this happened. the series of 701400 to 701800 I believe was allocated to 330th (2/1st East Lancs) Brigade RFA which was part of the divisional artillery for the 66th (2nd East Lancs.) Division, which arrived in France by 17th March 1917.

I'm not too good with the numbering system, so appologies if this proves to be the wrong brigade. The medal rolls at the NA should have his brigade which may or may not confirm the above. Hope this helps,

cheers, Jon

Many thanks for all the help - I will see if I can find out if there is a link with Lancashire.

I'm going to London in the next couple of weeks so I'll see if I can get to the NA to have a look at the Medal Roll. Its a good excuse to leave the wife to do the Christmas Shopping!

Many thanks again - I'll post when I've found more info out!

Cheers

Ross

Its a good excuse to leave the wife to do the Christmas Shopping!

:lol::lol::lol:

If Owen was a conscript he wouldn't have any choice with who he served with, so don't be suprised if you can't find a link with Lancashire. Which number comes first on Owen's MIC?

cheers, Jon

Ross

Before you go to the NA, check on their website for opening times etc. They are re-building/revamping so closures are current and ongoing.

Mabel

Ross, I could be wrong...but as Ironduke has mentioned a transfer and the 161282 number comes last, this would seem probable. I don't think that the number is that of a TF brigade and medals are usually stramped with the first unit served overseas with. I think it's a trip to Kew...so you will have to miss out on the crimble shopping...shame on you :P

cheers, Jon

Ross,

the roll reference is not for a TF one either. If the RFA page is correct at 34311, then the prefix should be 271B (not 2418).

Suggest you post an image of the MIC in Medal index cards to double check, and hopefully save you some wasted time at the NA.

Rgds

Ross,

the roll reference is not for a TF one either. If the RFA page is correct at 34311, then the prefix should be 271B (not 2418).

Suggest you post an image of the MIC in Medal index cards to double check, and hopefully save you some wasted time at the NA.

Rgds

Here is the medal card.

The quality seems to have degraded after I copied it from the .pdf, but if it helpsit says

Name Corps Rank Regt No.

Roberts RFA Gnr (TF) 701647

Owen --"-- --"-- 161282

Medal Roll Page

Victory RFA/2418 34311

British ---"--- ---"---

Not sure if its uploaded properly though!

Many thanks again for your help!

Ross

post-28418-1196796413.jpg

Edit: Just looked closer - I think you're right and it is '271B'!

Yes Ross, if you half close your eyes you can just make out its meant to read RFA 271B, page 34311.

That equates to Roll reference WO329/149.

You can order this in advance with this ref and have it waiting for you if you have an NA members ticket.

Its 22 pages in from the end of the volume. If you do get it out I would be interested in knowing approx

percentage wise just how many specify the actual battery/brigade, if any in that roll.

Rgds Paul