Remembered Today:

saintconor

6th Royal Irish Regiment War Diary

saintconor

About time I gave something back.

Conor

Norrette

Hi Conor,

Was this battalion at Gallipoli in August '15? if so I would be interested in any diary entries in the days leading to the 16th August. (say 7).

Thank you,

Norrette

saintconor

The 6th served in F&F. Sorry

Norrette

Thanks anyway :)

Guest mquigley
Thanks anyway :)

would appreciate any help.heres what i know

private james hagan 4834 6th battalion royal irish regiment

died france 27th june 1916 age 19.buried in bethune.

this man is my great uncle.iwould like to know where the battalion was in the days leading to his death and if there is any mention made of james. thankyou

Coldstreamer

Welcome to the forum

as he died of wounds, pinpointing when wounds where received makes it more difficult

saintconor

Born Templemore, Co Derry. Enlisted Derry. Formerly 15169 Royal Irish Fusiliers. Like Coldstreamer has said, he died of wounds so the war diary is really of no use. will have a quick look and get back to you. So you from Derry?

Conor

saintconor

On the 27TH June 1916, the 7TH Leinsters who were on the right of the 6TH RIR, carried out a raid on the enemy trenches. This caused retaliation which killed 2 and wounded 13 in the 6TH RIR trenches. It is possible that your relative was one of the wounded and died later on in the day. This is just speculation however. His wounds could have been received anytime.

Conor

Guest mquigley
On the 27TH June 1916, the 7TH Leinsters who were on the right of the 6TH RIR, carried out a raid on the enemy trenches. This caused retaliation which killed 2 and wounded 13 in the 6TH RIR trenches. It is possible that your relative was one of the wounded and died later on in the day. This is just speculation however. His wounds could have been received anytime.

Conor

thanks for the fast replies. does the diaries give a location of the 6th RIR trenches.

yes i am from derry

thanks

saintconor

Loos.

I'm from Creggan.

Conor

saintconor

Was wondering if you had a pic of your relative? My G Grandfather was one of the derry volunteers who joined 6th RIR. I'm trying to put faces to all the men from derry who died with the regiment.

Thanks

Conor

rob elliott

The website 'Great War Irish Scrapbook' has a nice bit on the 6th Royal Irish Regiment.

M.Quigley-I take it you've seen the bit in the 'Diomond war Memorial Project' diary on James Hagan.

I see he was from Rosemount.

My Family came out of Lewis Street, which no longer exists.

Rob

Clive Temple

Hi saintconor,

Look up please... Private Joseph Ilsley 12 August 1917. He is remembered on my village memorial in Woodham, Surrey.

Thanks.

saintconor

Born: Eversley , Hants

Enlisted: Guildford , Surrey

Formerly: 7451 Lancers & 1949 Royal Munster Fusiliers

Ann Sinnott

Hi Saintconor

Please look up two Wexford-born relatives.

Both enlisted in Royal Irish Regiment - and I believe 6th Bn

Pt Edward Sinnott 5900

Pt Peter Sinnott 5897

Many thanks!

Ann

ockie37
About time I gave something back.

Conor

Hi,

Do you have a copy of the diary of the 6 bttn of the Royal Irish regiment? If you do, would it be possible to email me a copy to john4965@msn.com

John

GraemeClarke

Hi,

Many thanks for the offer. Would it be possible to post the War Diary entries for the following dates please,

Tuesday 27 June 1916

Wednesday 8 August 1917

Thursday 16 August 1917

Researching men killed on those dates,

Many thanks,

Graeme

Seamusmac

Hi Conor

This post is probably well finished at this date but i was wondering had any of you come across enlistment records for the 6th RIR for the Derry area, which would have be reported via the Omagh Regimental Area.

I have tracked down about 400 Derry men (of which c.100 died) to the 6th at this stage but I need to double check for errors - hence the search for enlistment records.

Seamus

museumtom

From 'The Wexford War Dead';

There were 7 soldiers named Sinnott from Wexford who died in ww1. The two lads above were not among them.

Regards.

Tom.

Ozinhouston

I too am following up on James Hagan, along with my cousin McQuigley except I grew up in Australia and now Live in the USA so are just finding out about our great uncle.  

I would appreciate any help.

heres what i know

private james hagan 4834 6th battalion royal irish regiment

died france 27th june 1916 age 19.buried in bethune.

this man is my great uncle.iwould like to know where the battalion was in the days leading to his death and if there is any mention made of james. 

Also, if these is a way to read his war service record.  I found his medal index cards but was unable to understand them.  I have attached them here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Medal card of Hagan, James Corps: Royal Irish Regiment Regiment No: 4834 copy.pdf

Ozinhouston
On 28/12/2007 at 09:06, Guest mquigley said:

thanks for the fast replies. does the diaries give a location of the 6th RIR trenches.

yes i am from derry

thanks

Hi Cousin,

I'm Glenda's son from Melbourne, Australia but live in Texas, USA now.  Please find attached our great uncle's medal index cads.  Unfortunately I don't understand them.

Medal card of Hagan, James Corps: Royal Irish Regiment Regiment No: 4834 copy.pdf

WhiteStarLine

Hi,

You probably realise that you have the MIC for 6 solders called James Hagan.  Yours is the 4th card.  It tells you that James Hagan,a private soldier in the Royal Irish Regiment, service number 4834, was entitled to the British War Medal, Victory Medal and also the 1915 Star (only awarded to those who qualified by serving in a theatre of operations and before a certain date).

The handwritten details tell us he qualified because:

1. He served in the Theatre of War: France.
  2. I interpret that he arrived in France on 18 May 1915.

He handwritten note DofW means Died of Wounds.

The other handwriting refers to the nominal roll on which the original information was found and there will be no record of this anymore.

He died on 27 June 1916 and is buried in Bethune.  Previous post #8 suggest what may have happened on that day. 

Ozinhouston

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I only knew that he died in France and where he is buried.  I also didn't't know he received the medals that he did.  I appreciate sharing this information and I will be sure to pass it on to my family.

Edited by Ozinhouston

Michelle Young

Unfortunately, mquigley is no longer a member here as denoted by guest status. We hold no contact information about them.

Michelle 

Ozinhouston

It's ok, he's my Mums cousin so I can contact him.