Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major D le Poer Trench DSO MC

Matt Dixon

I have now spent nearly 30 hours in Birmingham Central library going through the London gazette, trying to find any information about Major Derek Le Poer Trench DSO MC.

Most of all I am trying to find out what he won the gallantry awards for, and most of all I am trying to find a photo of him.

Can anyone assist with either?

Major Derek le Poer Trench, Guards Divisional Artillery, killed in action 27/08 1917, buried at Noeux les Mines I.X.1

His DSO was gazetted in the Brithday Honours list of 4 June 1917 and hence there was no citation and it would have been for general good service. He was appointed a DAAG in February 1917 and was killed by the same shell as Brig Gen M Peake, the BGRA I Corps, while on a reconnaissance on Hill 70 in the Loos sector. I don't, I regret, have any knowledge of his MC citation. He also had a Mention in Despatches.

With regard to the London Gazette, if you have not already done so, try looking at him under Trench.

Charles M

Derrick Le Poer Trench

2nd Lieutenant 21/12/1900

Lieutenant 21/12/1903

Captain 21/12/1912

Major 13/09/1915

I have had a rummage through my books and this is all that I can find. Hope that it is of some use.

Regards

AGWR

Thanks both of you.

I have been through the Gazette and have now found his MID, but still no joy about the MC though. He is listed on 1/6/17 as having the MC so at least that narrows it down a tiny tiny bit!

Best bargain of all though was stumbling across another chap I am looking at on the same page! I never knew that this other man had been MID'd! RESULT!

Matt.

To add a few bits to what has already been said:

Born: 25.5.82, son of Col. and Mrs Stewart Trench. Passed out of Woolwich into R.A. on 21/12/00. Also a Memorial Service was held for him and Brig - Gen Malcolm Peake at the Holy Trinity Church, Brompton. Sorry don't have date for service, but the local paper for Brompton may well give mention of the service, and you never know possibly a photo.

Regards

Chris

Matt,

Gazette Issue 29202. 22 June 1915.

Awarded the Military Cross.

Captain D. le P. Trench

Also see Gazette Issue 29200. 18 June 1915.

Trench, Captain D. le P. (42nd Brigade).

AND

Gazette Issue 28792 13 January 1914.

War Office,

13th January, 1914.

REGULAR FORCES.

COMMANDS AND STAFF.

ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY.

Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery, Supernumerary

Major Francis A. Tighe is restored

to the establishment. Dated 21st

December, 1913.

Supernumerary Lieutenant Arthur H.

Fraser is restored to the establishment.

Dated 1st January, 1914.

Captain Henry M. Nornabell to be

Adjutant, vice Captain D. le P. Trench.

I think that there are also other references, but I have to go and do some work!

Cut and paste this link into your address bar.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSe...chSubmit=Search

Regards

AGWR

Major Derek Le Poer Trench DSO MC.

Most of all I am trying to find out what he won the gallantry awards

DSO, LG 4 Jun 17 (no citation)

MC, LG 23 Jun 15 (no citation)

MIDs: 22 Jun 15

1 Jan 16

15 Jun 16

Regards. Dick Flory

Oops: His fourth MID did not come up. It was LG 11 Dec 17. Regards. Dick Flory

You could try Creagh and Humphris' book on the DSO. Short biographies and sometimes a photograph are often (but not always) included. There is a copy at the public records office.

regards,

Alex.

You could try Creagh and Humphris' book on the DSO. Short biographies and sometimes a photograph are often (but not always) included. There is a copy at the public records office.

No need to look. I own the book and there is no photo of him and only a very short biography.

Regards. Dick Flory