Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW 1

gunnerbill1

TRYING TO LOCATE MY DADS EX REGIMENT IN WW1, I KNOW NOT HIS ARMY NUMBER, NOR THE REGIMENT, I AM ASSUMING THERE COULD HAVE BEEN A WIGAN PAL'S ,, ALL I KNOW HE FOUGHT AT THE SOMME,

There was not a Wigan Pals as such, although many men joined the local Territorial Battalion - the 5th Manchesters. However, you certainly cannot assume that this was his unit

Without further information you are looking for the proverbial needle. Before you do anything else, may I suggest you read the "research" section of the mother site. it will give you many clues as to how to find the information. Come back and post if you have any specific queries after that.

John

TRYING TO LOCATE MY DADS EX REGIMENT IN WW1, I KNOW NOT HIS ARMY NUMBER, NOR THE REGIMENT, I AM ASSUMING THERE COULD HAVE BEEN A WIGAN PAL'S ,, ALL I KNOW HE FOUGHT AT THE SOMME,

Gunnerbill

I am researching the war dead of Wigan, and would be glad to help you, with your quest. In the History shop in Wigan, is a book which lists everyone from Wigan, who fought in the war, it is not 100% accurate but you might be lucky, send me a personal message and i will do what i can

Cheers

Nick

A somewhat irreverent (and possibly irrelevant) thought but if a Wigan Pals unit had been formed they might have been doomed to be called the Wigan Peers!

Ok I'll get back in my box now.

they might have been doomed to be called the Wigan Peers!

Or the Wigan Pie 'rs?

Pte. 17823 Henry JOLLEY 2nd Bn. King's Own (Royal Lancaster). Born Higher Ince, Wigan, enlisted Wigan. Died of wounds 28th November 1916, Salonika.

Here's Henry's MIC clickety click

cheers, Jon

Pte. 17823 Henry JOLLEY 2nd Bn. King's Own (Royal Lancaster). Born Higher Ince, Wigan, enlisted Wigan. Died of wounds 28th November 1916, Salonika.

Here's Henry's MIC

SORRY,,,,,,,,THIS AIN'T HIM,,,,,,,,HE CAME THROUGH THE WAR,,,,THANKS

There are 14 Henry Jolley's on the MICs clickety click

Do you have any pics of Henry that may shed some light on his regt? Next step would be to find the Wigan Absent Voters List for 1918, if it still exists,

cheers, Jon

There are 14 Henry Jolley's on the MICs clickety click

Do you have any pics of Henry that may shed some light on his regt? Next step would be to find the Wigan Absent Voters List for 1918, if it still exists,

cheers, Jon

yes, i have a pic taken in the 50's,,,,dad could not drive,,he was only a foot soldier as i believe,,,,,never had any qualifacations etc ,,,but he was born in HIGHER-INCE as you mentioned in the last posting,,,,,

post-28560-1197282116.jpg

Gunnerbill

What we were hoping for, was a photo of your Dad in uniform then hopefully we could find out from the photo what Regiment

he was in. Failing that i will have a look in the History Shop in the town centre, for you, towards the end of the week

Nick

re henry jolley.......i have studied the 14 said names and came to the conclusion that only four names could have ben my dad, they are ,,,,,,

Corps:Machine Gun CorpsRegiment No:131033

Medal card of Jolley, HenryCorps:King's Royal Rifle Corps DepotRegiment No:R11402Rank

Medal card of Jolley, HenryCorps:Royal Field ArtilleryRegiment No:259789Rank:GunnerPrivate

Medal card of Jolley, HenryCorps:Machine Gun CorpsRegiment No:131033Rank:

Private

dad had no middle name,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for your help,,,,,,,,,,,,,bill

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find some info about my great grandfather Louis Sydney Price I know he initially joined the RAMC before transferring to the 1st battalion of the Rifle Brigade in Sept/Oct 1914 before being killed on 11 Oct 1915. I would like to know when he joined up.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steve,

If I were you I wouldn't add a question like this to an unrelated thread as it's likely to be overlooked. Try a new thread and ask again.

Ken

Ken

I thought that I would ask here as he was from Poolstock in Wigan, which I forgot to mention earlier. His parents were Robert and Emily. He was killed three months before my maternal grandmother was born. His wife was Annie nee King

Regards

Steve

Steve,

In that case, you might be lucky with the Wigan connection to this thread.

But, just in case, I'd start another thread and double your chances of getting a result.

Ken

Steve,

In that case, you might be lucky with the Wigan connection to this thread.

But, just in case, I'd start another thread and double your chances of getting a result.

Ken