Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards battalion details held for individual men

Coldstreamer

Hi Coldstreamer

I haven't got too much at all on one of my lads so whatever you might be able to supply would be appreciated.

6810 Pte Edward C Silliss 2nd Battalion.

All I've really got has been gleaned from the CGWC site. I'm assuming (and we all know what an assumption is) that he was killed as part of Third Ypres.

Many thanks

Greg

born Swannington

enlisted Norwich

lived Old Buckenham , Norfolk

confirmed as killed in action at Boesinghe

Ive a good account of the action if youd like a copy - send your email by PM

"Can tell you though that he was originally posted as missing"

Thanks for this Coldstreamer. In his Police Service papers it confirms the date he was killed, I didn't realise that he was posted as missing originally. Hopefully I will be able to glean more information when the "S" series of Service Records are released.............if they exist of course. He has no known grave.

Thank you once again, I really appreciate it.

Diane

Ive not once found papers for a coldstream casualty as the national archives so good luck

what are you after? the coldstream archives would be able to provide a copy of the papers - they do charge but they are the only guards unit to have a full time archivist

Hi,

anything pertaining to Lt Frank THEWLIS MC, 2nd Bn - killed Ginchy 1916 would be appreciated. I have some info on him. We share the same surname. Thanks in advance.

David

I've just discovered a man of my town who served with the Coldstream and was awarded the MM with them. Other than the London Gazette entry I know nothing about him.

Do you have anything on:

12575 Pte R. Lea, MM

Gazette date 11/01/1918.

I will search the local newspapers and if anything comes to light I will pass it on to you for your records.

Many thanks,

Ken

12575 Pte R. Lea, MM

Ken

MM with the 1st Battalion

To France 22/12/14

probably enlisted September 1914

number is 12574

lived 25 Park Avenue, Orsmkirk, Lancs -

Hi,

anything pertaining to Lt Frank THEWLIS MC, 2nd Bn - killed Ginchy 1916 would be appreciated. I have some info on him. We share the same surname. Thanks in advance.

David

joined 16.5.15

staff 14.7.15 - 25.9.15

KIA

but I make him 1st Btn

Thank you for the information. As I said, if I find anything else I will let you know.

Ken

MM with the 1st Battalion

To France 22/12/14

probably enlisted September 1914

number is 12574

lived 25 Park Avenue, Orsmkirk, Lancs -

if he was at Eton its Freddy1918 you need to be talking to - thats her special subject

Joined 28.4.15 as 2 Lt

KIA

MID

Coldstreamer.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards David.

joined 16.5.15

staff 14.7.15 - 25.9.15

KIA

but I make him 1st Btn

Yes, apologies for that, 1st Battalion it was after rechecking (too many other things with 2nd in them) in my lot.

Cheers,

David

Ken - I did look through the war diary but must have missed his entry (if it was there at all)

Ive not once found papers for a coldstream casualty as the national archives so good luck

what are you after? the coldstream archives would be able to provide a copy of the papers - they do charge but they are the only guards unit to have a full time archivist

Hi Coldstreamer,

I'm really sorry for the delay in answering but with visiting relatives over the weekend and a busy time at work yesterday this is my first opportunity.

He was Pte Absolom Snowley No 7722 Coldstream Guards. KIA 14.9.1914 and was my Gt Uncle.

He joined the Norfolk Police Force in 1911 and on his Police Service Records it says he was formerly in the Coldstream Guards at Windsor Castle. He then joined up in August ( I think) 1914 and was killed a month later just before his last child was born. He is on the wall memorial in Gt Hockham Church as well as on their War Memorial and the police archivist at Norfolk Police Headquarters sent me a photograph of their wall plaque with his name on.

I was just curious about his previous service record in the Coldstream Guards previous to his enlistment.

Could you give me the address to write to about getting these please?

Apologies again for the late reply

Diane

Coldstream Gds RHQ

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

London

and no apology needed

re Deadman - yep, hang on a minute - its in a paper file (remember them?!)

Re Deadman

16629 William John Deadman

enlisted 2.8.15

invalided 30.9.18

discharged 27.1.19

silver war badge # B107687

wounded in the head that resulted in discharge

served 1st and 4th Btn

regards

C

was he a relative ??

Thank you very much for that info!

No not a relative, I bought a british war medal named to him about a year ago. Would the date of invaliding have been close to the date of his wounding?

not sure sorry

would also be due a victory medal

• 2 years later...
Hello

Im about to start sorting some rolls that show the battalion that a man served in with the Coldstream Guards. Its not a complete list and doesnt show if he moved battalion but may be of some use...seems to be mainly men who enlisted before 12/12/14 which is useful as (for whatever reason) they choose not to put battalion details on 1914 stars to the Coldstream :angry:

post below if you want a look up and Ill see what I can find for you

This list doesnt show officers though

regards

Coldstreamer

HI COLDSTREAMER I HAVE A 1914 TRIO TO 10581 PRIVATE THOS FORSTER COLDSTREAM GUARDS, M I C QUALIFYING DATE 21/8/1914 COULD YOU PLEASE HAVE A LOOK TO SEE IF YOU CAN FINED HIS BATTALION, AND ANY OTHER INFO ON HIM. THANKS GEOFF

do you have the SWB details ?