Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards battalion details held for individual men

Coldstreamer

Hello

Im about to start sorting some rolls that show the battalion that a man served in with the Coldstream Guards. Its not a complete list and doesnt show if he moved battalion but may be of some use...seems to be mainly men who enlisted before 12/12/14 which is useful as (for whatever reason) they choose not to put battalion details on 1914 stars to the Coldstream :angry:

post below if you want a look up and Ill see what I can find for you

This list doesnt show officers though

regards

Coldstreamer

hi coldstreamer,

its me again,i know some time ago you tried to help me with my uncles records.i had tried the barracks at birdcage walk and they could not find them.ive still had no luck tracing them.if you have come across any more info on my uncle i would be most grateful,his details are;

james bowskill, 2nd/gr gds pte 16173. i ont know where to look?,any ideas.once again many thanks for any help at all,best regards jamesbow

Being "the other lot" I cant really help sorry

whoops,thats what you get for trying to rush to many things ,thought i was rolling.ah well i am getting old?,

best regards jamesbow

Evening Coldstreamer,

Could you possibly comfirm whether Capt. Arthur Leigh-Bennett D.S.O. M.C. was in the 2nd Batt.

All info I have (which isn't alot) points towards the 2nd.

He was a local chap and I'm just starting research on local memorials etc and this gentleman popped up. I know he is

buried in Vermelles British Cemetery but I believe he also has a wooden grave marker in a local church.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon.

hello,

the roll to which i refer was men (not officers) so i will amend it

However, I do have a roll of officers :)

ALH was 2nd Btn - wounded 20.5.15 (probably shell fire according to war diary), killed 2nd Btn 3.10.15 "whilst going round the trenches"

regards

Coldstreamer,

Many thanks for looking that up.

I wanted to attach a picture of the cross which I mentioned in case you were interested. I have just arrived back and it is too large to attach but it does back up the 2nd Batt info.

Simon.

you just need to get the pic under 100 kb

Picture as promised

Regards

Simon.

post-5914-1196785476.jpg

Cheers Simon

Any information for Amos Ward -8162 shown on his medal card to be a private Coldstream Guards

To France 26.8.14

1914 trio is in existance

wounded at some point

2nd and 4th Btn

invalided 21.5.18

Ive got a note about him but need to find the file !

thats a start for you

That was easier than I thought it would be

wounded 15th April 1916 with 4 coy of the 4th Battalion - I have the medals to a chap that served with him

That was easier than I thought it would be

wounded 15th April 1916 with 4 coy of the 4th Battalion - I have the medals to a chap that served with him

I'm not 100% on this being the right Amos but is the only one I could find on the medal cards, it's the wife's grandfather, not much information for him, he died 1923, but from family information he was in the Coldstream Guards, he came from Sheffield Yorkshire.

Here's his pic.

post-27954-1196790982.jpg

hello

next time I go to London I will get his papers and check if he is family for you

17810 would have joined after December 1914 - later 1915 early 1916

Due a victory medal and BWM - roll shows middle intial as F

Would you have any info on this chap or what happened to him.

Lieutenant WILLIAM GEORGE EDMONSTONE

2nd Bn., Coldstream Guards

who died age 19

on 15 September 1916

Eldest son of Sir Archibald Edmonstone, 5th Bart., C.V.O., and Lady Edmonstone, of Duntreath Castle, Stirlingshire.

Remembered with honour

GUARDS' CEMETERY, LESBOEUFS

He's also remembered on Kilsyth town war memorial. Apparently he was at Eton and joined the Guards when the war broke out.

Regards David.

Hello There,

A while ago you kindly gave me some infomation on Pte Absolom Snowley No. 7722 Coldstream Guards KIA 14.9.1914 at Vendresse.

I now have his Police Service records which states that he was in the Coldstream Guards before he joined the Police in 1911 and was last serving at Windsor Castle. He rejoined up into the Coldstream Guards in 1914.

I just wondered if you have any information on his previous service especially Windsor Castle?

Thanking you in advance

Diane

Hi Coldstreamer,

You kindly provided information about Edward Silvester Andrews, 13908, 4th Battalion Coldstream Guards. My wife and I visited his grave in June. It appears that he died in the field hospital following a bomb explosion. Would it be possible for you to obtain his papers for us when you go next? If so I'll pm you my details etc. Obviously any costs will be met.

Thanks

John

Would you have any info on this chap or what happened to him.

Lieutenant WILLIAM GEORGE EDMONSTONE

He's also remembered on Kilsyth town war memorial. Apparently he was at Eton and joined the Guards when the war broke out.

Regards David.

if he was at Eton its Freddy1918 you need to be talking to - thats her special subject

Joined 28.4.15 as 2 Lt

KIA

MID

Hello There,

A while ago you kindly gave me some infomation on Pte Absolom Snowley No. 7722 Coldstream Guards KIA 14.9.1914 at Vendresse.

I

I just wondered if you have any information on his previous service especially Windsor Castle?

Thanking you in advance

Diane

hello

the only details I have are ww1 related

Can tell you though that he was originally posted as missing

Hi Coldstreamer,

You kindly provided information about Edward Silvester Andrews, 13908, 4th Battalion Coldstream Guards. My wife and I visited his grave in June. It appears that he died in the field hospital following a bomb explosion. Would it be possible for you to obtain his papers for us when you go next? If so I'll pm you my details etc. Obviously any costs will be met.

Thanks

John

Ive looked in 4 records and all show killed (rather than died of wounds)

I can get you a digital copy of the papers next time I go