Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10947 Pte Michael Gillespie Irish Guards

saintconor

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the above soldier. Any info no matter how small would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Again

Conor

Hi Conor,

You may have this already but just in case, its the index to his MIC on the NA site.

Best of luck,

Sean

Description Medal card of Gillespie, Michael

Corps Regiment No Rank

Irish Guards 10947 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/8

Thanks Sean. I have ordered the MIC on e-bay ( Dont like forking out the £3.50-a typical tight Irish man) and will be sure to post it when it arrives.

Conor

MIC attached. I was shocked to see no date of entry. Did he not enter a war zone? or has it just not been recorded? anyone with IG SWB roll?

Thanks Everyone

Conor

post-20146-1196891429.jpg

No theatre of war was recorded for enlisted men after early 1916.

Regards,

Murrough.

He would have entered a war zone to receive the BWM and VM.

Then your not going to like paying £25 for his service records if they survive at Wellington Barracks, birdcage walk, London SW1 E6HQ. Afraid you wont find them on Ebay.

There is an excellent chance that they do for all Guardsmen as they were held in different storage. My relative was only 70 numbers away from yours, which was a Jan 1916 enlistment and a Dec 1916 embarkation.

Its worth it…believe me

Thanks for the reply. Try £30, not £25. His papers have survived and the money is on its way to Dominic at the IG Museum as I type. Just trying to find out what I can in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Conor

Archived