The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Kent Regiment & Hampshire Regiment

ruthburchell

Hi there

I have finally managed to find my Grandfathers medal card (the medals he actually returned due to the fact he was not happy at the way the war was run). His name was Horace Burchell and his Reg no's were = G/18986 - East Kent Regiment, and 04898 - Hampshire Regiment.

Firstly does anyone know the chances of my father being able to get the medals?

Secondly does anyone know of the battles places these regiments would have served in - I am at a loss trying to find more information.

I know Grandad was discharged after sustaining injuries and catching malaria which sadly dogged him to the end of his days - where my father had to watch him relive the battles he had fought in.

Any information either on my grandfather specifically or the regiments would be gratefully received

:huh: Ruth

Ruth

You would need to obtain the medal roll from Kew to determine which Battalions he served in. It will be in one of the Hampshires rolls so I can't help. Without knowing this it would be impossible to build any history around him. From the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) perspective, I can tell you that he was a conscript and he reported to the depot in October or November 1916.

Mick

PS There is a Hampshire Regiment enthusiast here, Marc Thompson, and it might be an idea to send him an email if he doesn't see this thread.

Ruth

You would need to obtain the medal roll from Kew to determine which Battalions he served in. It will be in one of the Hampshires rolls so I can't help. Without knowing this it would be impossible to build any history around him. From the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) perspective, I can tell you that he was a conscript and he reported to the depot in October or November 1916.

Mick

PS There is a Hampshire Regiment enthusiast here, Marc Thompson, and it might be an idea to send him an email if he doesn't see this thread.

Hi Michael

Thanks alot for your help - I have tried to upload his medal card - where would the batallion be on that?? - my Dad seems to think he was shot in the hip first at the Somme possibly with the 7th Buffs and that he caught Malaria in Gallipoli but I guess that would have been with the Hampshire Regiment. - Anyway thanks for your help

Grandads_Medal_Card.doc

Ruth

Sometimes the cards record the Battalions but not in this case. The reference on the left C/1/103B4 Page 480 is the code for finding the medal rolls. These are not available on line.

I think the idea that he caught malaria in Gallipoli is a red herring because we had left there by the time he was ready to go overseas.

To answer your first question, it will not be possible to obtain his medals from the MOD as they no longer issue WW1 medals. He was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal.

Mick

Ruth

This is a Hampshire Regiment Medal Roll reference on your MIC. I am surprised not to see a Theatre of War and date into theatre at bottom left of the form.

I have a MIC for a Great Uncle who was killed at Gallipoli,he was a CSM in 2 Hants,and the Roll numbers ore quite similar.

My interpretation of his service in 2 Regiments,in view of your facts,is that he joined the Buffs,was wounded,and on recovery was posted to the Hampshires. This would be borne out by the fact that it was the Hampshires who issued his medals at the end of the war.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

As I said, the Buffs number was issued in late 1916 and you will therefore not see an entry date or theatre on the MIC. There are various reasons why men were transferred between Regiments so it is not safe to assume that he was wounded and placed in the Hampshires.

Ruth

This is a Hampshire Regiment Medal Roll reference on your MIC. I am surprised not to see a Theatre of War and date into theatre at bottom left of the form.

I have a MIC for a Great Uncle who was killed at Gallipoli,he was a CSM in 2 Hants,and the Roll numbers ore quite similar.

My interpretation of his service in 2 Regiments,in view of your facts,is that he joined the Buffs,was wounded,and on recovery was posted to the Hampshires. This would be borne out by the fact that it was the Hampshires who issued his medals at the end of the war.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks very much for your help

As I said, the Buffs number was issued in late 1916 and you will therefore not see an entry date or theatre on the MIC. There are various reasons why men were transferred between Regiments so it is not safe to assume that he was wounded and placed in the Hampshires.

Thanks for your helpful comments will see what I can find