Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers

drummer

I am interested in the Connaught Rangers , particularly 2nd Battalion's participation in the BEF during the first few months of the war. The thumbnail history from this site states that 2nd Battalion was amalgamated with the 1st in Dec 1914, which suggests to me that it suffered great losses somewhere between Mons and Ypres. Nowhere in my limited reading of those months, however, have I been able to find any more mention than a rear guard action late in August. Was it just a matter of slow attrition, were there some catastrophic casualties or some other reason that the amalgamation took place? Any information would be most welcomed..Thank you

Soldiers Died shows the 2nd battalion losing 248 men.

Strangely, although most are 1914 losses, 6 are 1915, 3 in 1916, 1 in 1917, 5 in 1918, 2 in 1919.

Dates in 1914 that were particularly harsh;

26/8/14-12 men

14/9/14-27 men

1/11/14-13 men

2/11/14-19 men

11/11/14-12 men

JIm

I was researching a soldier from the Connaughts last year and I wrote to the Regimental Museum . I got a reply from Oliver Fallon who was very helpful. Why dont you try him

His email address is :

oliverfallonx@eircom.net

Best of Luck

Bob Foster

• 1 year later...

Following the very heavy casualties in France in 1914 the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Connaughts were amalgamated into one battalion. The resulting Battalion was part of the Ferozepore Brigade of the 3rd Indian Army Division and were sent to Mesopotamia in December 1915 . My father was in this battalion and was badly wounded in March 1916. If you require any further info after the amagamation send me a message

Micchael McDonnello

Hello Drummer,

As well as the rearguard action at Grand-Faydt on the 26th of August, the 2nd Connaught Rangers took part in the advance on Cour de Soupir on the 14th of September and First Ypres in late October/early November. These actions would explain the casualty numbers Jim has identified.

There is a good account of their actions in "Orange, Green and Khaki" by Tom Johnstone.

Regards,

Liam.

I second the suggestion to contact Oliver Fallon. He has been of great help to me and supplied me with this reference which has a bearing on your question:

Irish Times of October 9th 1914 - a feature on 2nd battalion Connaught Rangers

In addition to the deaths 250 where taken prisoner amongst whom was my Grandfather.

If you have more than a passing interest in The Connaught Rangers then I recommend membership of the Association – Oliver is the Secretary.

As a slight aside, it was the Connaught Rangers who initially led to the poularity of " It's a long way to Tipperary ". They were heard singing it by a newspaper correspondent for the Daily Mail, George Curnock as they came ashore at Boulogn in August 1914. He published the words in his report and it caught on.....

Simon

Drummer

I to am interested in 2nd Btn Connaught rangers. My great uncle was a member of this regiment .He was killed on Polygon wood on 11/11/1914.One of the forum members was good enough to photograph the war diary up to about the time he was killed.I am in the process of transcribing this.If you are interested I can e-mail the trancription as far as I have got.This will also9 spur me on to transcribe the rest of it .

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Well, many thanks to all for the replies to an old post. Since then, I have learned much about the Irish Regiments and hope to continue my education.

John, I sent you an e-mail (not sure if you might get it). I would love to have what ever part of the Connaughts War Diary you have transcribed. I have transcribed the 2/Royal Irish Regiment's first couple of weeks which I will send along if you would like. They were in the thick of it that first week of War and the contributions and sacrifices make for a swell read.

Thanks again,

Drummer

Drummer

I to am interested in 2nd Btn Connaught rangers. My great uncle was a member of this regiment .He was killed on Polygon wood on 11/11/1914.One of the forum members was good enough to photograph the war diary up to about the time he was killed.I am in the process of transcribing this.If you are interested I can e-mail the trancription as far as I have got.This will also9 spur me on to transcribe the rest of it .

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

I'd still love too see your transcription as well please John.