Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Calcutta

gjrobinson

Hi Gillard

A quick search of the Naval Intelligence and Movement of Ships sections in The Times online for that time suggests she was in Canada. I'm not sure my search brought up every entry - but there was enough to suggest she was the flagship of the Eighth Light Cruiser Squadron and give an idea of her movements

She arrived in Bermuda on 8th May, Montreal - 30th May, 10th June - left Montreal for Quebec, 18th June - arrived Charlottestown (Prince Edward Island), 11th July - arrived St John (New Brunswick), 26th July - arrived and left Curling (N.F. - presume Newfoundland??) for Sydney and Bermuda

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sue

HMS Calcutta served on the America and West Indies Station with the 8th Light Cruiser Squadron from the time of her completion in 1919 until ordered home in 1927 to pay off. On that occasion her crew transferred to HMS Despatch. (Source: M J Whitley, Cruisers of World War Two - An International Encyclopedia)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip about the Naval Intelligence and Movement of Ships sections in The Times online , Sue. I shall search for my grandfather's ship, HMS Durban, in there.

Best wishes,

David

Sue,

I've tried looking for HMS Durban in Naval Intelligence and Movement of Ships in the Times Digital Archive but get no results. Please can you advise on the procedure?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

With best wishes,

David

Hi David - I always find searching in The Times is a bit of a lottery! - for news items - using H(dot)M(dot)S(dot)spaceCalcutta seemed to work - as they use the HMS there.

In the movements of ships they only use the name not the HMS - so for something like Calcutta - on it's own you get heaps of mentions of the city in India - so using Calcutta and naval narrowed it down a bit. Bear in mind though that during the War this information seems to have been left out - presumably for security reasons - so it's likely you'll only find peace time movements of the Durban

Good Luck

Sue

Hi Gillard

A quick search of the Naval Intelligence and Movement of Ships sections in The Times online for that time suggests she was in Canada. I'm not sure my search brought up every entry - but there was enough to suggest she was the flagship of the Eighth Light Cruiser Squadron and give an idea of her movements

She arrived in Bermuda on 8th May, Montreal - 30th May, 10th June - left Montreal for Quebec, 18th June - arrived Charlottestown (Prince Edward Island), 11th July - arrived St John (New Brunswick), 26th July - arrived and left Curling (N.F. - presume Newfoundland??) for Sydney and Bermuda

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue. Thank you for your reply. This information answers a mystery I have been trying to solve for the last 5 years.

Regards Gillard Robinson

HMS Calcutta served on the America and West Indies Station with the 8th Light Cruiser Squadron from the time of her completion in 1919 until ordered home in 1927 to pay off. On that occasion her crew transferred to HMS Despatch. (Source: M J Whitley, Cruisers of World War Two - An International Encyclopedia)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip about the Naval Intelligence and Movement of Ships sections in The Times online , Sue. I shall search for my grandfather's ship, HMS Durban, in there.

Best wishes,

David

Hi David. Thank you for your reply. Using this information and the information from Sue, it answers a mystery I have been trying nto sole for 5 years.

Regards Gillard Robinson

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

David

Hi David. Thank you for your reply. Using this information and the information from Sue, it answers a mystery I have been trying nto sole for 5 years.

Regards Gillard Robinson

Sue,

Many thanks for your hints about how to use the Times Archive to find HMS Durban. Currently the webpage is unavailable but when it comes back I'll have another go!

Best wishes,

David