Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a Battalion

Willie Lord

I am still trying to trace the battalion my ancestor fought in. He lived in Cornholme, Lancashire and enlisted in the Durham Light Infantry in Todmorden, Yorkshire. His no. was 31917. His service record was destroyed and I have searched the Medal Rolls and War Dead records. He died on 02 April 1917 fighting with the 13th Northumberland Fusiliers and is commemorated at Arras Memorial. I am obtaining a copy of 13th Northumberland Fuseliers War Diary and would like to do the same for the DLI but need to know his bn. Anyone know how I go about this bearing in mind I have his no. and where he enlisted?

I would be most grateful

Hi Jenny,

Just had a quick look through SDGW and found another soldier who enlisted in Todmorden into the 20th Battalion DLI with the service no. 31999. When did Willie enlist and do you have a copy of his medal card (MIC)?

cheers, Jon

Thank you for your reply. Willie first enlisted into the Devonshire Regiment, again in Todmorden, but failed his medical due to poor eyesight. This was 13th May 1915, so all I know is that his enlistment into DLI would be sometime after that. I have a copy of his Medal Card but apart from the information I have previously given there is nothing else apart from Roll no. and page no. of his medals.

Regards

Jenny