Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers From Just Photos?

Suffolk_Cousins

Cheers Jay Dubaya

Y :mellow: ou learn something new everyday!

Regards chum,

Ivan.

I have recently inherited an old photo album from the early 1900's. It contains alot of photos of Soldiers with their regiment badges visable but sadly no names on the back. I was wondering if it is possible to identify a soldier from these photos some how? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Great photos,the writing on back of postcard does say my chums from Felixstowe or am i missing something.

Great photos,the writing on back of postcard does say my chums from Felixstowe or am i missing something.

That's what I make it too - it simply says 'from felixstowe'

great post !

regards

Clark

Any reference to Felixstowe could refer to the 3rd Suffolk (Reserve) Bn. which was stationed there for the duration, as part of the Harwich Garrison. They provided drafts of men to the Bns. at the Front.

Keith

Suffolks

WG Powell. I agree it looks overseas,maybe the Middle East.(Egypt/Palestine?)For me the photo plate has been touched up to make him smoother and more handsome (!) and that's what they had a penchant for in that neck of the woods !

Great pictures !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Ah yes thanks everyone I can see it says Felixstowe now! Was expecting it to be a name :)

Thanks for the information Keith :)

Yes it would be great to put some names to the faces wouldn't it Twiglet! Although it is quite a task.

You've got good eyes Sotonmate!! He does look rather smooth faced

Photo number 4 'Unknown group of soldiers' since is says Cpt Barnett 1917 on the back does that mean we could find out the names of all the soldiers that were serving under him at that time and maybe match a name to a distant ancestor?

Welcome Suffolk,

Cannot help, but just to say I so enjoyed looking at these photos.........thank you...

I am so glad that others can help identify. Wonderful work everyone.

Susan.

What brilliant photographs. Many thanks for sharing them. My uncle was transferred to the Royal Warwickshire in 1917 and died in France in 1918 and I would love to see any photos that he might possibly be on.