Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Samuel Moore, East Yorks Regiment

teejay65

Hi Tomboy

I find looked for his pension records in Ancestry but cannot find any information for him.

Do you have any more details about where he was born year etc... I can try to find him on the 1901 Census for you ???

Hi Tomboy

I find looked for his pension records in Ancestry but cannot find any information for him.

Do you have any more details about where he was born year etc... I can try to find him on the 1901 Census for you ???

Thanks BMacIntyre, I have already checked in Ancestry & 1901 census but found no specific info. He was born in Hull about 1888 and saw service in India & Mesopotamia before WW1.

Tomboy

There is a Samuel William MOORE of the 2/4 East Yorks Regt shown on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) site as dying on 26/8/1917 in Bermuda,where the Bn was part of the Garrison,having moved there from the Somme late in 1916. His parent are shown as Frederick and Emma Moore. He is shown as being 49 years of age,which doesn't fit in with your DOB for him,and also his number is 201349,but numbers were changed in quite a few Regiments in 1917,and some of the info on the CWGC site has seemingly been proved to be incorrect.

Good hunting !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Tomboy

There is a Samuel William MOORE of the 2/4 East Yorks Regt shown on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) site as dying on 26/8/1917 in Bermuda,where the Bn was part of the Garrison,having moved there from the Somme late in 1916. His parent are shown as Frederick and Emma Moore. He is shown as being 49 years of age,which doesn't fit in with your DOB for him,and also his number is 201349,but numbers were changed in quite a few Regiments in 1917,and some of the info on the CWGC site has seemingly been proved to be incorrect.

Good hunting !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonmate, but as my father Samuel survived the war there is nothing in your research which fits him. However I would be interested to know where you got your info, which may assist me in my search. Best regards

Tomboy,

The number seems odd? I have three Samuel Moore's who served during the war with the East Yorkshire Regiment. Where did you get the number from? could it be 12/1176?.

Regards Charles

Yes Charles, there could be a hyphen, because on my other grandfather's WW1 medals is inscribed "Pte T (Thomas) Hunt, 11-1171, E Yorks Reg" Does the number indicate which unit they served in?

I got my info on Samuel from the microfilm listed in " http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/wo364_missorts.htm" and am seeking more info from that source.Thanks for your input.

Best regards, Tom

Tomboy,

Could this be your chap, aged 2 with Mum and Dad ?

Happy Hunting

Grant

MOORE, James Head Married M 41 Coachman

Houghton

Norfolk VIEW

MOORE, Emma L Wife Married F 41

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Edith A Daughter Single F 18

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, William Son M 11 Scholar

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, James Son M 9 Scholar

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Arthur Son M 7 Scholar

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Charles Son M 4

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Samuel Son M 2

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Emma Daughter F 1

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:

RG12 Piece:

3938 Folio:

47 Page:

Registration District:

Hull Sub District:

Myton EnumerationDistrict:

19 Ecclesiastical Parish:

St Jude

Civil Parish:

Holy Trinity And St Mary Municipal Borough:

Kingston Upon Hull Address:

7, Belle Vue Crescent, Holy Trinity And St Mary, Kingston Upon Hull County:

Yorkshire (East Riding)

Many thanks Grantowi, that seems to fit what previous knowledge I have. The source of your info will be a great help in furthering my search.

Best regards, Tom.

Thanks again Charles; I did access my grandfather's (Thomas Hunt) medal card, which showed he served in Egypt in 1914-15 but gave no other info, other than he was transfered to the active reserves after the war.

I also checked out the 2 Samuel Moores you advised, but they didn't fit in with my previous knoweldge. However I'm most gratefull for your assistance.

Best regards, Tom

Tom,

Don't give in on finding him, sometimes family knowledge can be a little mixed up. The East Yorkshire regiment didnt serve in Mesopotamia until 1920 but did serve in Macedonia. Have you any photos or other information on Samuel?

Regards Charles

Tomboy,

Could this be your chap, aged 2 with Mum and Dad ?

Happy Hunting

Grant

MOORE, James Head Married M 41 Coachman

Houghton

Norfolk VIEW

MOORE, Emma L Wife Married F 41

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Edith A Daughter Single F 18

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, William Son M 11 Scholar

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, James Son M 9 Scholar

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Arthur Son M 7 Scholar

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Charles Son M 4

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Samuel Son M 2

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

MOORE, Emma Daughter F 1

Hull

Yorkshire VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:

RG12 Piece:

3938 Folio:

47 Page:

Registration District:

Hull Sub District:

Myton EnumerationDistrict:

19 Ecclesiastical Parish:

St Jude

Civil Parish:

Holy Trinity And St Mary Municipal Borough:

Kingston Upon Hull Address:

7, Belle Vue Crescent, Holy Trinity And St Mary, Kingston Upon Hull County:

Yorkshire (East Riding)

Hi again Grant, would you have the date when this info was taken & the actual source (eg.census).

Thanks, Tom