Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st cambs regiment

chrisbrown43

first of all...hello to all pals.

Now....I need some help. Could anyone possibly have any idea what the 1st Bn Cambs regiment were up to on or around the 19/04/1915??? this was the the date my gt gt gt uncle (pte Alex J Warden was killed). My mother is coming to visit tomorrow(Sunday) and as we have only recently found out he was one of ours I would love to be able to tell her where he fell and possibly what he was up to at the time of his sad demise.

If anyone has ANY info as to what this particular battalion was involved in I would extend the warmest thanks.

Chris

Chris

Name: WARDEN, ALEXANDER JOHN

Initials: A J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cambridgeshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 19/04/1915

Service No: 2675

Additional information: Son of the late Charlie and Elizabeth Warden, of Wisbech; husband of Frances Elizabeth Knights (formerly Warden), of 8, Witham Yard, Little Church St., Wisbech, Cambs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 50 and 52.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

From the 2nd Apr 1915 the Cambs were in the line in the Hooge Crater area near Ypres

Commemorated Wisbech War Memorial

All The Best

Chris

Many thanks for your reply chris...I already had his CWGC info..but not where the action was taking place. Do you have any detailed info as to what the 1st Cambs were up to?

chris

Chris

the Cambs Regt were part of the 27th Divison & on the date he died there were no major actions so it is highly probable his death was down to trench attrition

SDGW shows him as born & enlisted Wisbech

Chris

Chris,

The Cambridgeshires are fortunate enough to have an excellent book about their deeds in the Great War:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridgeshires-19...9794&sr=1-1

The book was written by two of the Commanding Officers of the battalion, and seems to be a sincere account of events, and one book that I very much enjoyed. During this period, the book mentions the area of Sanctuary Wood a great deal, and the battalion took many casualties from sniping. It is possible, if you are local to the area, that the library may hold an original edition of this book in the reference section and I would recommend a look at it.

Hope this is of use

Aye

Tom McC

The Cambridgeshires were in the vicinity of Cam Grove in the Ypres Salient near Sanctuary Wood and Hill 60. On the 18th April the 5th Division, on the right of the Cambridgeshires, carried out an attack on Hill 60 and gained the summit. This led to what the historian regarded as the greatest bombardment yet experienced. The whole of their area was severely shelled in retaliation and the German heavies joined in to make things even hotter. It was likely that he met his death during this.

There is a borrowable copy of the Cambs history in the Peterborough Central Library. Upstairs by the microfilm readers on the shelves that divide that area from the computer area. Top left shelf I think. 5th book from the right.... Ok, I'm making that last bit up...

Steve.

The Cambridgeshires were in the vicinity of Cam Grove in the Ypres Salient near Sanctuary Wood and Hill 60. On the 18th April the 5th Division, on the right of the Cambridgeshires, carried out an attack on Hill 60 and gained the summit. This led to what the historian regarded as the greatest bombardment yet experienced. The whole of their area was severely shelled in retaliation and the German heavies joined in to make things even hotter. It was likely that he met his death during this.

Where is Cam Grove in relationship to the Hooge?

Chris

Where is Cam Grove in relationship to the Hooge?

Chris

There were 4 coverts/copses to the east & south-eastern side of Sanctuary Wood which were named after their residents in April 1915, the RIF, the Leinsters, DCLI and the Cambridgeshires. Hence Armagh Wood, Clonmel Copse, Bodmin Copse and Cam Grove. They would have been situated about 1000 yards east of Hooge on the Menin Rd, then turn off southwards along the edge of the Sanctuary Wood

I can't find Cam Grove on maps yet the other 3 are noted; neither is Cam Grove in Rats Alley, but would have been in that area.

Sorry I can't be more specific

Martin

Martin

thanks very much - nice to know that when I over in October I was where my local lads fought

Chris

I can't thank everybody enough for all the replies I have had. Many many thanks to all of you. This is certainly a great place to hang out and so many knowledgeable people can be so friendly it is very humbling. thank you again.

chris.

Have now added the camridgeshires book on Amazon to my wish list and .....whats more my partner has seen me do it so who knows..it may appear in my christmas stocking.........here's hoping.

Chris

• 7 months later...

Hi Chris

I've only just joined the Forum so my reply may not help you much now.

My Grandfather was in the 1St Cambs Rgt- I don't know about 18 April but he did speak of Hill 60 and Sanctuary Wood after St Eloi ( March 14th 1915). But he also told me he got a whiff of the first gas attacks which were I believe 22-24 April 1915 at or near St Juliaan and the British troops were spared the worst by the wind direction .

Regards

kevin