Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haritan

Hambo

i have come across a man in my research who is described as being killed in the "affair at Haritan". he is buried at Beruit War Cemetery so I assume it's in the Lebanon. He was in the Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers (who I have heard of) but attached to the Mysore Lancers (which I have not). he was killed on the 26th of October 1918 and his name was Lt Dudley Mein MC

Any information on him or the "affair" wuld really be appreciated

Thanks Hamob

Hambo

This is from General Sir Edmund Allenby's Despatch which was published in the London Gazette #31087, dated 30th December 1918.

"Early on the morning of October 26th the armoured cars and the 15th Cavalry Brigade, moving round the west side of the town, followed the enemy along the Aleppo—Katma road and gained touch with him south-east of Haritan. The Turkish rearguard consisted of some 2,500 infantry, 150 cavalry, and eight guns. The Mysore Lancers and two squadrons of the Jodhpur Lancers attacked the enemy's left; covered by the fire of the armoured cars, the Machine Gun Squadron and two dismounted squadrons of the Jodhpur Lancers. The Mysore and Jodhpur Lancers charged most gallantly. A number of Turks were speared, and many threw down their arms, only to pick them up again when the cavalry had passed through, and their weakness had become apparent. The squadrons were not strong enough to complete the victory, and were withdrawn till a larger force could be assembled."

Link to the Gazette is Here if you want to read the Despatch in its entirety (Haritan is on Page 8 by the way).

Steve

His MC Citation, London Gazette #31583, dated 4th October 1919.

Lt. Dudley Gerald Mein, 31st Lrs., I.A. (attd. Mysore, I.S. Lrs.). (EGYPT)

For gallantry and skilful leadership before Haifa on 23rd September, 1918. He worked his squadron round to the coast about two miles East of Haifa, and charged the enemy simultaneously with the Jodhpru Lancers, capturing two guns, two machine guns, and 110 prisoners. He showed himself to be an officer of exceptional gallantry and coolness, under fire.

Link to the Gazette is Here.

Hope this helps.

Steve

His commission's......

The KING has approved the admission of the undermentioned Officers to the Indian Army:—

To be Second Lieutenants. From the Unattached List.

Dudley Gerald Mein, attached 31st Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers. Dated 25th April, 1916.

Link to the Gazette is Here

Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants.

Dated 18th April, 1917.

Dudley Gerald Mein, attached 31st Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers.

Link to the Gazette is Here

Steve

post-20901-1196497262.jpg post-20901-1196497246.jpg

Hambo
Mysore was a large independent state in southern India centred on Bangalore.

The Maharajah, as part of what was named The Imperial Service Troops Scheme, offered several units from his personal army to the British during the Great War.

The Battle Honours earned by the Mysore Lancers were:
Suez Canal, Egypt 1915-17, Gaza, Megiddo, Sharon, Damascus, Palestine 1917-18.

Two or three British officers were attached to each Imperial Service unit, usually coming from the Indian Army.
They were termed "Special Service Officers" & were not sent to command the troops but to advise the Ruler's own Indian officers who held the command appointments.

Harry

Steve and Harry

What can I say, fantastic, way more than I could have hoped for

Many thanks

from the OH

"At 7 a.m. on the 26th October the 15th Cavalry Brigade moved forward to clear the ridge west of the city [Aleppo] and get astride the Alexandretta road. The brigade was still without the Hyderabad Lancers, on the Lines of Communication, and had no battery attached - indeed, none could have accompanied it by the route which it took that morning. Br.-General Harbord found the ridge unoccupied and was told by Arabs that Allepo was evacuated by the enemy; but he felt by no means sure that this was the case. The only other information he had was an air report that there was a body of 300 cavalry on the Alexandretta road 8 miles to the north-west. The brigade reached the road at its exit from Allepo at 9.45 and halted for a quarter of an hour. Soon after resuming his advance Br.-General Harbord received a verbal message - which was apparently founded on an air report - that a body of about a thousand Turks, with two small guns, had left Allepo at 7.30 in a northerly direction. The advanced guard, two squadrons of the Jodhpore Lancers and a subsection of the 15th Machine Gun Squadron, pushed forward at a trot. Topping the ridge overlooking Haritan, 8 miles north-west of Allepo, at 11 a.m., it suddenly came under machine-gun fire from the right side of the road. It thereupon fell back 400 yards, dismounted, and took up a position astride the road, with the machine guns on the right.

So far all that had actually been seen of the enemy was a body of a couple of hundred in an enclosed garden south of Haritan. Br.-General Harbord, in view of the information he had received, decided to attack at once. He ordered the Mysore Lancers to move round the eastern end of the ridge and charge the enemy. The remaining two squadrons of the Jodhpore Lancers were to follow, while the rest of the machine-gun squadron [see note below] reinforced the advanced guard, which was to support the attack by fire. The 12th Light Armoured Motor Battery, having passed through Allepo, reported to him at 11.30 and was ordered to advance along the road. Its support was of no value, however, for the cars at once ran into heavy fire, had several tyres burst, and turned back.

Meanwhile the Mysore Lancers was advancing north-eastward. Major W. J. Lambert, the Senior Special Service Officer, made a personal reconnaissance and discovered that the enemy's flank was on a rocky knoll, further east than had been supposed and unfortunately beyond the range of the British machine guns. Nevertheless, he ordered the regiment to charge the knoll. In this, the last engagement of the campaign, the Mysore Lancers advanced with great dash in the face of artillery and subsequently rifle fire, three squadrons in line of squadron columns, the fourth in support. The position, held by a party of 150 Turks, was carried, about fifty of the enemy being speared and twenty prisoners taken. The Turks now disclosed far greater strength than had been anticipated, and the regiment, coming under heavy fire, fell back from the ridge. Lieut.-Colonel Holden, who had halted the two Jodhpore squadrons in a fold of the ground in rear, sent to Major Lambert for news. He was informed that the Mysores would charge again and was requested to move forward to cover them while they rallied. He thereupon advanced to a position about a half a mile south-east of the knoll, and the Mysores, who were momentarily shaken, rallied a thousand yards in his rear. The Jodhpores in their turn, however came under heavy fire; Lieut.-Colonel Holden was shot dead at close range; and the two squadrons likewise began to fall back in some confusion. Then Captain H. P. Hornsby rallied the leading squadron and turned about to charge, Major P. F. Gell promptly swinging round the second squadron and following him. A moment later Captain Hornsby was shot through the neck [footnote: Left for dead, he recovered consciousness and crawled back through the Turkish lines after dark] and the Indian squadron commander, seeing large numbers of Turkish reinforcements moving up, wisely wheeled the squadron about. Major Gell then decided to take up his position on the left of the Mysores. The enemy had now disclosed a strength of at least three thousand, and for a few moments threatened to counter-attack, but then hesitated and began to dig in. The situation of the two Indian regiments was, however, precarious until the 14th Cavalry Brigade came up about 11.p.m. By midnight it appeared that the enemy had withdrawn.

The check which had been sustained was not a very serious one, the total British casualties being about 80, and its causes pretty clear. The Turkish troops encountered may have been mainly fugitives who had been re-organized, but they had been rested, fed, re-equipped, formed into new units, and were now fighting in a strong position under the eye of a most resolute commander [footnote: An Arab officer now in Trans-Jordan, records that he fought a machine gun in this action, and that fire was controlled and directed by Mustapha Kemal Pasha in person]. That they should have held up two weak regiments, unsupported by artillery, is not to be wondered at; indeed, it was probably only the great boldness of the 15th Cavalry Brigade which saved it from a heavy counter-attack. The action also served as a warning of the danger of trusting to reports from the air regarding the position and numbers of hostile troops without verifying them by ground reconnaissance."

[Note; this machine-gun squadron was on a special establishment. All the others consisted of British personnel, but this was made up of Imperial Service personnel from the three States represented in the brigade. The Mysore and Hyderabad Lancers had always had machine-gun subsections, and one had been formed also from the Jodhpore Lancers by permission of the Commander-in-Chief in India at Sir Edmund Allenby's request. The Jodhpore subsection, which did good work on this occasion, had not previously been in action.]"

The above and the map below are from the OH, Military Ops. Egypt & Palestine (from June 1917 to the end of the War) part II

Haritan26Oct1918.jpg

Having previously read of the 15th Cavalry Brigade's exploits at Haifa on the 23rd September 1918 and of Holden's part in that day's success

I was more than interested to read about this action. Incidentally, at Haifa too there had been poor air reconnaissance. I am only sorry that I cannot add to the info re Hambo's man, Lt Dudley Mein MC.

regards

Michael

Michael

Thanks very much for the effort of transcribing that little lot. Interesting they call it an"affair" and not a battle

Hambo

Hambo,

I have only just taken delivery of the two vols (1917 to the end) and am still getting to grips with it. The author of the OH here is Capt Cyril Falls and I see from the list of contents that he uses the expression "The Affair ..." on only one other occasion - 14th July 1918, 'The Affair of Abu Tulul.'

This was an attack on some ALH outposts in the Jordan Valley by German and Turkish forces. The attack was repulsed, and searching for any similarity with the later action near Aleppo, I regret I have so far drawn a blank.

On that same day and not very far away, the Jodhpore and the Mysore Lancers were also in action in what may well have been a concerted thrust by the enemy. In this action at the En Hinu Ford, we again come across Major P. F. Gell [see above]. His squadron suffered 28 casualties out of their 125 men who rode in the charge, but they captured 50 prisoners and a large number of horses. Gell got the DSO for this action. One MC was also awarded here and my feeling is that it was that to Thakur Dalpat Singh, but I have not been able to confirm this. Also awarded were 6 Indian Orders of Merit (2nd Cl) and 7 DSMs

To return to your question

I regret that I can come up with no better explanation at present

other than it was an alternative to The attack of... The action of... The operations of... The capture of... etc etc

but a poorer alternative and therefore only used twice

best regards

Michael

quote: a poorer alternative and therefore only used twice

I tell a lie!

Falls also uses the word 'Affair' when describing Huj on the 8th November 1917;

for Teichman's description of this 'affair' see

regards

Michael

Thanks for your interest in the question. It almost sounds like a polite (Victorian) way of trying to soften what was actually a pretty bloody action. I can't imagine what carnage a charge by Lancers in full flight would cause. Poor old Johnny Turk!

• 5 years later...

Interesting they call it an"affair" and not a battle

It's never too late to add a clarification is it

The following quote is from page 7 of the Report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee as approved by the Army Council, published by HMSO, 1921

“... the rank of 'battle' has been confined as a general rule to engagements of primary importance fought out between forces not smaller than the corps. The title 'action' has been employed for the next class, the limit in this case being taken as the division; lesser engagements have been styled 'affairs.' The term 'combat' has been avoided as having reverted to its original use of a hand-to-hand fight between individuals, and so become obsolete in the sense in which it was employed in the last century. 'Capture' has been reserved for operations where the primary object was the capture of a definite locality, and where this was only accomplished by actual fighting of some importance; where this latter condition was absent 'occupation' has been used, and the same distinction has been drawn between 'passage' and 'crossing.' Again the term 'attack' has been confined to unsuccessful offensive operations, and 'defence' to successful defences of definite localities, … ...”

regards

Michael

• 4 years later...

I believe my Uncle Wayne Dudley Raymond was one of the four Officers killed at Haritan on 26th October 1918 servicing with the Mysore Lancer, having been with 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse). He was born a New Zealander. He is buried in Beirut British War Cemetery. Records say he was mentioned in despatches.

I am wondering:

- Where I could find out information about my uncle's service record with the Mysore Cavalry.

- The circumstances of his death.

- Whether next year, 2018, there are any acts of commemoration planned for the Battle at Haritan or Aleppo.

Thank you

John Raymond

John,

Welcome to the GWF

Details of the Affair at Haritan as per the British official history can be seen in post No.7 above,
and I can now replace that missing sketch map which may help

5a38f4c18e87e_MapAffairatHaritan26OCT1918.jpg.c72604d2535e634e0f3bafda6f3101a7.jpg

You can also read an account in 'The Desert Mounted Corps in Palestine & Syria 1917-1918' by Lt-Col Preston: pages 291-293
This action is also covered in Vol.V, of 'A History of the British Cavalry' by the Marquess of Anglesey: pages 335-339

On 17/12/2017 at 00:38, J Raymond said:

- Where I could find out information about my uncle's service record with the Mysore Cavalry.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you with Lt Raymond's record, however I am confident that there are GWF member who can, and I suggest that you repeat your request in the 'Soldiers' section

Whether next year, 2018, there are any acts of commemoration planned for the Battle at Haritan or Aleppo.

I have no information regarding any marking of the centenary of these events, however the FO travel advice can been seen here https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/syria and it seems highly unlikely that anything will take place at the site concerned. The FO's advice for Lebanon is here https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon

Good luck with your research 

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

7 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Whether next year, 2018, there are any acts of commemoration planned for the Battle at Haritan or Aleppo.

I have no information regarding any marking of the centenary of these events, however the FO travel advice can been seen here https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/syria and it seems highly unlikely that anything will take place at the site concerned. The FO's advice for Lebanon is here https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon

Where I think you can be sure that the Mysores will be remembered next year is in Haifa

Previously the Indian embassy has always marked 'Haifa Day' with a ceremony at the Indian cemetery there

and this year there was also a visit there from the Indian PM.

The capture of Haifa was only a month before Haritan and your uncle almost certainly took part there too 

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the accounts mentioned previously, the following quote is from the 15th Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade History [HMSO 1920]

The Brigade reached the Alexandretta road at its exit from Aleppo at 9.45 a.m., and continued the march at 10 a.m. The only definite information received up to this time regarding the enemy was that 300 cavalry were reported on the Alexandretta road 8 miles northwest of Aleppo. At 10.15 a.m. a verbal message was received that about 1,000 scallywags of all descriptions, with two small guns, had left Aleppo at 7.30 a.m. on the 26th and proceeded in a northerly direction.

At about 11 a.m., when the advanced guard (two squadrons of Jodhpur Lancers and one sub-section of machine gun squadron) topped the ridge overlooking Haritan from the south-east, heavy rifle fire was opened on it from the vicinity of the village. The advance guard immediately took up a dismounted position on the above ridge.

Deeming instant action all important, and in view of the information received, the Brigadier decided to attack at once. Orders were consequently issued to the Mysore Lancers to move round the east of the ridge on which the advanced guard was established, and charge the enemy from the east, the Jodhpur Lancers to move in support as a mopping-up party.

At the same time the remainder of the Machine Gun Squadron (four guns) were sent to reinforce the advanced guard, and get into action to cover the mounted attack. At 11.30 a.m. No. 12 L.A.M. Battery arrived and was ordered at once to push along the main road in co-operation with the mounted attack.

At this hour the situation was as follows :—

Enemy

Holding Haritan village and ground south-east and east, with guns north-east of the village.

Our Troops

2 squadrons Jodhpur Lancers and Machine Gun Squadron holding fire position on ridge i£ miles south-south-east of Haritan. Mysore and Jodhpur Lancers (less 2 squadrons) moving east to attack enemy mounted. No. 12 L.A.M. Battery moving up road north-west.

The L.A.M. Battery pushed on and came into action, but something went wrong with the battery leader's car, which forced it to return, and through some misunderstanding the other three cars also came back.

Meanwhile the Mysore and Jodhpur Lancers (less two squadrons) had advanced, but finding the Turkish position extended further to the east, moved in that direction to gain the enemy's left flank. When a favourable opportunity offered, the Mysore Lancers were ordered to charge.

12 noon. This charge got well home, 50 of the enemy being killed and 20 prisoners taken. The enemy, however, were found to be in far greater strength than previous information indicated, and as the further movement east had taken the Mysore Lancers beyond supporting distance of the machine guns, and for want of weight they were unable to penetrate far into the enemy's position, they were forced to rally to the rear and take up a dismounted position in observation, the Jodhpur Lancers (less two squadrons) prolonging their line to the left.

1 p.m. This action forced the enemy to reveal his whole strength, which was estimated at about 3,000 infantry, 400 cavalry, with 8 to 12 guns of various calibre, and from 30 to 40 machine guns and automatic rifles.

With this force they advanced as if to attack the position we were holding, but when within 800 yards halted and began to dig themselves in. It was then realised that they were taking up a defensive position, fearing a further attack, and it was consequently decided to remain in observation on the line then held.

Desultory fire was kept up till about 9 p.m. The enemy began retiring after dark and had withdrawn by midnight.

The 14th Cavalry Brigade arrived at 11.15 p.m. and took over the observation line at 6 a.m. on 27th.

The enemy's casualties were estimated at 100.

Our casualties were 4 British officers, 1 Indian officer, 16 other ranks (Indian) killed ; 6 British officers, 6 Indian officers, 44 Indian other ranks wounded ; and 3 Indian other ranks missing. Of the wounded 2 British officers, 1 Indian officer and 11 Indian other ranks remained at duty. The total casualties were therefore 21 killed, 42 wounded and 3 missing.

Among the casualties listed in the Brigade History is

Lieut. (A-Capt) Wynne Dudley Raymond, 2nd Lancers, 26 Oct 1918 Aleppo [It seems that the name Haritan had not yet been applied to this action when the history was printed in 1920]

There is also mention made of a memorial -

A memorial has been erected on the site of the action at Haritan, north-west of Aleppo. This shows : (a) the site and date of the last action fought in the Middle East; (b) a list of the units engaged; (c) a roll of honour of those who were killed or died of wounds as a result of the action.”

but one wonders if it still exists today in the midst of such a long running and violent civil war

• 6 months later...
On 19/12/2017 at 20:32, michaeldr said:

Where I think you can be sure that the Mysores will be remembered next year is in Haifa

The last info which I received on the marking of the centenary of the capture of Haifa, was that it will be held on 3rd September

On 01/12/2007 at 20:46, michaeldr said:

[footnote: An Arab officer now in Trans-Jordan, records that he fought a machine gun in this action, and that fire was controlled and directed by Mustapha Kemal Pasha in person].

This is but a further footnote to the subject of Haritan
however it is worth noting that the Turkish press have today reported the rediscovery of the building which Kemal Atatürk used as his HQ at this time
There is a gallery of 12 pictures to be seen at http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/photo-ataturks-headquarters-discovered-in-syrias-afrin-report-134077#photo-8

Edited by michaeldr