Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Museums

Tom Morgan

A question for Pals who are familiar with the kind of records that Regimental Museums have.

As a general rule, would you expect a Regimental Museum to have any kind of nominal rolls which mention where individual soldiers came from, addresses, or anything like that?

Tom

Tom,

Not normally most if they have anything are restricted to Medal Rolls or rarely nominal rolls,a lot will depend on the enthusiasm of the Curator...

Tom

Generally not. In the north west, I think only the Borders and KORL museums have anything even approaching a nominal roll.

Now, if you want to get to post war, regimental museums have recently received from, I think, the MoD the enlistment ledgers upto WW2. I've seen the ones for the Manchesters and they are stuffed full of useful stuff - even on our period as many men rejoined and their past WW1 service is recorded.

What problem are you trying to solve?

John

John and HarryBetts - thank you very much for your comments.

John - I'm looking at a village in Lincolnshire which someone says is a Thankful Village. We can't find anyone from the village who died in the war. The local paper printed casualty lists throughout the war for each of the local villages - a sort of Roll of Honour of those who had died. These lists are cumulative, so the last one, in September 1919, should include everyone in the villages covered by the paper, for the whole war. The village in question is never mentioned at all.

So no-one seems to have died, but there's no evidence that anyone actually went! (Often there's a plaque in the church with names of those who went and returned, or at least saying something like, "and in gratitude for the safe return of all those who served.")

Someone suggested that the Lincolnshire Regimental Museum might have records of men from the area who enlisted in the regiment, with details of where they came from. Quite apart from the fact that not everyone joined the local regiment anyway, I think this is a non-starter, as you and HarryBetts suggest. But I wanted to check before I said so.

Tom

Lincs Museum appears to be very efficient and enthusiastic, Tom. It'd be worth giving them a ring and talk to the archivist. He dug some stuff out for me with just period and unit.

Soldiers Died in the Great War lists only two men with a connection with Minting:

107066 Pte. F.W. Andrew RAMC. Born: Minting, Lincs. Died at Home: 01/11/1918

4384 Pte. W. Hickson D.L.I. Born: Minting. Killed in action: 16/09/1916

Jonathan

One other Minting man known to have served overseas. The WO 364 records on Ancestry include:

Private, 9767, Edward Frith, Lincolnshire Regiment (and latterly, 50158, Royal Defence Corps)

Resides: Minting, Lincolnshire

Parents: Robert and Jenny, Minting, Lincolnshire

Enlisted: 6th August 1914 (age 19)

Home: 6th August 1914-25th March 1915

France: 26th March 1915-12th May 1915 with 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment

Wounded in action: 9th May 1915 (The Battle of Aubers Ridge)

Home: 13th May 1915-17th July 1917

Transferred to RDC: 29th April 1916 (3rd Observation Coy.)

Discharged: 19th July 1917

All the best,

Stuart

Tom

You counld try Lincoln Archives on Rumbold Street in Lincoln. They hold electrol rolls for a lot of Lincolnshire, and whilst they do not have info as specific as Absent Voters Lists they do list men of voting age that were away from home on Military service. Sadly do not give units or numbers but suppose can cross check with CWGC or SDGW. I had a look for several villages in North Lincolnshire about a year ago and was able to compile lists of plenty of men from them who i had no previos knowledge of, subsequently finding several mens papers in WO files at the NA and on Ancestry.

Kind Regards

Chris