Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Recognition

birddr

I am trying to work out if the soldier in the left of this picture is a relative and I only have his cap badge to go on.

The two on the right are my uncles. The one sitting down was in the army having enlisted in 1915 aged 15. He was returned from France in 1916 and discharged from 3/6th City of London Rifles for being under age.

The one standing was in 1/24th London Regiment and I know that other uncles were in the 1/22nd Battalion London Regiment and 2nd/6th Battalion London Regiment and 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade and the 18th Service Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.

Several of them ended up in the Labour Battalion and one in the P.O.W Labour Battalion and I have no idea if these Battalions had their own cap badges or if so if they would have been given new badges.

The mystery soldier looks to me to be wearing a Royal Artillery badge and perhaps the lanyard supports this. However I am not an expert and wonder if anyone can confirm this as I suspect then that he was just a friend.

post-25312-1196447505.jpg

I would say Royal Artillery

P.B.

Yes I'd say the same. The uncles from the 22nd & 24th London must have been South Londoners as their HQ's were at Bermondsey and Walworth respectively.

Labour Corps and PoW Company men only wore the Labour Corps badge in 1919.

If you post their names and Labour Corps numbers it may be possible to identify which company they were in - note I say might.

Ivor

• 1 month later...
Labour Corps and PoW Company men only wore the Labour Corps badge in 1919.

If you post their names and Labour Corps numbers it may be possible to identify which company they were in - note I say might.

Ivor

Ivor Thanks for your help.

Looks like the RA man is probably not family.

The Labour Corps Numbers were:

Labour Corps 669631 Private J E Rowen

Labour Corps P. of War Company 564875 Private C V Rowen discharged 1919 as mentally unstable due to war service. Died 1920

Labour Battalion 143274 R A Rowen

Just in case it is possible to identify which company they were in.

Thanks

David

David

Labour Corps 669631 Private J E Rowen - probable date of transfer October 1918 but cannot identify the Company

Labour Corps P. of War Company 564875 - Transferred July 1918 and in 50 PoW Company

Labour Battalion 143274 R A Rowen Originally in 3rd Battalion Labour Corps (April 1917) which was formed from 13th Battalion Devonshire. Problem Labour Battalion split up after about a month and men sent to other companies in the UK

Ivor

David

Labour Corps 669631 Private J E Rowen - probable date of transfer October 1918 but cannot identify the Company

Labour Corps P. of War Company 564875 - Transferred July 1918 and in 50 PoW Company

Labour Battalion 143274 R A Rowen Originally in 3rd Battalion Labour Corps (April 1917) which was formed from 13th Battalion Devonshire. Problem Labour Battalion split up after about a month and men sent to other companies in the UK

Ivor

Ivor

Many thanks. This all adds to the family history I am researching.

Unfortunately another couple of uncles never made it to the Labour Battalion as they were KIA.

David