Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russia 1918-19

domwalsh

Hi guys,

I have record of service to a Royal Marine which states he served in the Russian Expeditionary Force 21/5/18 to 11/6/19. Unfortunately the ship's name on which he served is illegible though it starts with a G and has another g or y two or three letters later. Does anyone have any thoughts? Unfortunately my scanner is out of service so I cannot post a scan.

Many thanks,

Dom

HMS Glory - predreadnought Bs, Canopus class. Served as guardship at Archangelsk to 1919.

Beware though - HMS Glory IV was the Russian cruiser Askold aka the "packet of Woodbines", taken over 1918 and used as a depot ship.

Glory would be his depot ship where the admin was done: pay, mail and so on. According to Blumberg, the force was known as Glory III, but bourne on the books of Glory. See Chapter 13 for more details.

HMS Glory (number),etc, could be the accounting base,cheque there is nothing in brackets next to it,or apostrophies meaning a vessel above that has changed accounting base,also check the reference column as on one occasion this had the vessel in it.Sometimes writing is very poor and TB26 or ML506,etc can be hard to decypher.Regards Bob

Thanks Bob. Alas it's all overwritten and smudged, but I don't think there's anything in brackets or any number after Glory. Dom

Blumberg gives several accounts of the actions of the "very large Royal Marine Detachment" on Glory in the same chapter. As I said previously their pay and admin would be done by the ship. But the men could be on detached duty ashore while still having the admin done by the ship. If there is no number this is the group he should have been with.

If you don't have a copy of Blumberg, I will copy the section.