Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Iron cross first class

delboy

What was the difference between the 'iron cross' 1st class and that of the 2nd class? Also seen on ebay that an original with its case had been 'UV' tested, what does this mean and why do it?

Thx delboy

Hi There

Both look similar from the front Black maltese crosses with silver trim

W with crown in the middle and 1914 underneath

back of Second class has an oak leaf cluster and 1813 ( when the order was instituted)

Second class is the lowest grade has a ring on the top to hang from a black and white ribbon

First class is next grade up nothing on the back and generally pin back (this varies, also can be flat or concave)

Had to win the second class before you could win the first class (for bravery or merit)

The UV comment is to show that the card that the box is old, card before the early 50's does not Glow under UV light different bleach used in the processing of the raw card (you know how they check notes with UV to see if they are genuine or not)

all above if from memory but if i am wrong i am sure some one will point out but it is a reasonable intro to the topic

Many books have been written on the topic

regards

ken

Ken

Thanks for that, it clears it up for me. I now have an idea what I want for my WW1 collection

Cheers ;) delboy

Hi There

Both look similar from the front Black maltese crosses with silver trim

W with crown in the middle and 1914 underneath

back of Second class has an oak leaf cluster and 1813 ( when the order was instituted)

Second class is the lowest grade has a ring on the top to hang from a black and white ribbon

First class is next grade up nothing on the back and generally pin back (this varies, also can be flat or concave)

Had to win the second class before you could win the first class (for bravery or merit)

The UV comment is to show that the card that the box is old, card before the early 50's does not Glow under UV light different bleach used in the processing of the raw card (you know how they check notes with UV to see if they are genuine or not)

all above if from memory but if i am wrong i am sure some one will point out but it is a reasonable intro to the topic

Many books have been written on the topic

regards

ken

Hallo delboy, :D

A picture or three is worth a thousand words :P

post-18479-1196451325.jpg

Front Iron Cross I Class.

post-18479-1196451422.jpg

Rear Iron Cross I Class.

post-18479-1196451472.jpg

Iron Cross II Class, boxed.

Connaught Stranger.

P.S. while there are many varieties of EK. I Class and EK II Class by many different manufactures,

there are known REPRO WW1 Iron Cross I CLASS out there,

and some care needs to exercise before making a purchase!!

Connaught Stranger :D