Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pal's wesbites - should we list them here

delta

Chris

Many Pals have developed extremely useful websites;' they may be found by checking against "members details" but this is not readily searchable.

Would it be appropriate to list them within this section and add a hyperlink so that those researching particular field could have more ready access.

Stephen

I think that it would be a very good idea to have a list.

It often seems to me that websites such as ours, for the Drill Halls Project, are overlooked in the enthusiasm for memorial sites, yet ours has also demanded a huge amount of work, is drawn from a wide range of sources, and is an equally valid aspect of the historical period. It also attracts a lot of attention outside Great War circles. I would imagine that this broader appeal is true of several people's websites.

Drawing attention to our sites attracts and invites input from a wider audience and augments the body of knowledge available to all, especially where it is evidence-based.

I believe the full breadth of members' websites should be highlighted and shared, on a publicly viewable section of the forum.

Gwyn

I think there are a number of excellent websites created by members; we have some very clever and focussed people amongst us.

Inclusion of these sites here merely emphasises how this Forum has become one of the primary resource sites for Great War research. It's one of those wonderful moments, when you discover thousands of people who have a common interest, and one of those people has a website that includes precisely the information you've been seeking.

Whilst forelock-tugging to Chris for getting us all together, this Forum is a collection of people who have their own specific interests and knowledge. Should they choose to offer a regular response to requests via the forum, or choose to display their knowledge via a website, we must support the sharing of knowledge.

We are the power behind this resource; let us include and celebrate the complexity and diversity of our research.

C'mon, Chris, let's have a www. section.

Graeme

C'mon, Chris, let's have a www. section.

Good idea in principle.

But if it is to remain useful, it would need better management than, say, the "document repository" section. That started as a simple listing of who has what, but now has so many tangents of folk asking if a book is held or if Great Uncle Fred is mentioned, that it is no longer really "fit for purpose".

John

I think that it would be a brilliant idea to have a categorised “links” section on the forum listing member’s web sites. This forum is so popular and respected now that such a listing would be a great asset to both the members and casual visitors alike. Anyway posting this give me the chance to promote my minor efforts.

Bristol church ROH

http://stmichael.instabook.com/rollhon.htm

A Gloucestershire Regiment Soldier

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/sets...57601071707940/

I do hope that this proposal is seriously considered and if possible acted upon

Norman

Good point Kevin, but I think it shows that there is a genuine desire that these sites are made readily available on the Forum and that by so doing they will provide an important research facility for the members.

PS - Also I have no idea how to amalgamate the two topics!

Norman

Speaking as a complete non technical type but is there not a way of creating a page which lists the Counties/towns/villages etc in one central place and then it's for the website manager to hook his/her memorial to the appropriate place name. It does sound like a repeat of the Roll of Honour site, but they seem to have a more cookie cutter approach to the information.

I'm sure we could corral those sites onto one link the forum it would bring them to a much wider audience of 18,000 pals. I often stumble across really good websites by accident and at least we'd know where to look to find them. It would also lead a lot of family and local historians to the forum where. like us, they could expand their chances of finding what they're looking for from the members of the forum. More hits for the site? Does that help?

Norman

google wikipedia and you'll find all sorts of information (some of it is even accurate)

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, I thought that was what you meant, unfortunately being slightly (?) thick I did not connect this with the proposal for a "Links" facility on the Forum.

Best Wishes

Norman

I should've explained that a wiki is a website where users can edit the pages. The most well-known example is Wikipedia, but that's given the software a bad name that it doesn't deserve. A better example is Your Archives which is run by the UK National Archives to allow users to share information about historical documents. Some of us have been using it to compile a list of websites which contain transcripts of war diaries. There's also a lot of good stuff about Great War memorials and cemeteries and lots of other useful material.

Thanks for the info about the National Achives link - yet again it exposes the issues that there is a wonderful ammount of info on the web; the biggest problem is finding it

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine if anyone wants to take a peek. About 2,000 on the nominal roll to date plus bits on recruitment, training and war service etc.

http://swanseabattalion.net/

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

My little effort dedicated to the Leeds Pals

Leeds Pals

An ongoing work, with loads more to do

Regards

Andy

Hi Themonsstar

This is an interesting thread, and my browsing experience this morning reinforces the point of categorised “links” section..

I 'found' that your link led me to the 66 Div (unexpectedly) which I was generally looking for, I found it well written and although it doesn't give me much specifically on the 66th Artillery it does give me the background and movements which arepart of the framework for my future research.

The 'group' is to be congratulated on some great work and I for one really appreciate being able to sit here with my laptop and coffee and press and click my way to the info I want.

I've been interested enough over the years to want to do the research but work and other time constraints, and the sheer doggedness that used to be required, with such agonising slow progress was too much for me, and I suspect most others. We should be truely appreciative of this work " I wouldn't be where I am today" without...their help

Llandodlad

ps if you have any signposts to the 66thDiv Artillery (131 Bde) I would be grateful