Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Coldstreamer

Coldstream Guards VC - mine for a few minutes

Coldstreamer

Hello

saw this nice little group on Tuesday- L/Cpl Wyatt of the Coldstream Gds

5854 Lance Corporal George Harry WYATT, 3rd Bn Coldstream Guards

At Landrecies, on the night of 25th-26th August 1914, when a part of his battalion was hotly engaged at the end of a street close to some farm buildings, the enemy, by means of incendiary bombs, set light to some straw stacks in the farmyard. Lance Corporal Wyatt twice dashed out of the line under heavy fire from the enemy, who were only 25 yards distant, and extinguished the burning straw. If the fire had spread it would have been impossible to have held our position.

Also at Villa Cotteret, after being wounded in the head, Lance Corporal Wyatt continued firing until he could no longer see owing to the blood which was pouring down his face. The Medical Officer bound up his wound and told him to go to the rear, but he at once returned to the firing line and continued to fight

I read some where he only put out the fire as he was ordered to do so

post-3871-1196366200.jpg

post-3871-1196366268.jpg

dpgdpg

Thanks for showing us! I only spent about five minutes starring at it.

A lovely group.

Think i'll buy a lottery ticket this weekend :)

Steven Broomfield

Very nice, but I bet the Bouncers didn't let you out of their sight ;)

Questions: where is it (Guards Museum?); what's the cross on the far end (Belgian/French?).

Have you been able to wash your hands yet, or are you keeping the smell of the medals on them for ever?

walrus

Steven,

I believe the cross on the far end is the Russian Order of St George (I'm not sure, but I think it's 3rd or 4th Class - others will know).

Tom t W

Coldstreamer

The museum is at Wellington barracks. The other medal is Russian - Cross of the Russian Order of St George 3rd class.

And the smell of a VC was long gone, the RHQ staff brought me a curry for my lunch

Food and a VC - they spoil me !

Steven,

I believe the cross on the far end is the Russian Order of St George (I'm not sure, but I think it's 3rd or 4th Class - others will know).

Tom t W

you believe rightly

priv

Coldstreamer,

Sounds as if you had a very good day out !

Just a quickie - is the VC the original ?I only ask because it doesn't appear to have that little nick on the inner circle of the reverse at about 8 o'clock that others I have seen pics of have ?

Just wondered......

Coldstreamer

As far as I know it is -never seen one before so couldnt say

interesting though, never heard about the "nick" before

Coldstreamer

any one able to comment on the "nick" ?

Ice Tiger
any one able to comment on the "nick" ?

I recently read that each "modern" VC has a unique distinguishing mark that is known only to the manufacturer, in order to be able to confirm its authenticity at a later date. Not sure when this practice started though.

Andy

Coldstreamer

Thanks Andy - would be a useful thing to validate the original

george emmons

Steven / Tom:

The cross at the end is the Russian Cross of Saint George. The Class will be engraved on the reverse arms of the cross.

It will also be mentioned in the Gazette.

The easiest way to tell the difference is that the Order has white enamelled arms.

Trust this helps.

George

Coldstreamer
Steven / Tom:

The cross at the end is the Russian Cross of Saint George. The Class will be engraved on the reverse arms of the cross.

It will also be mentioned in the Gazette.

The easiest way to tell the difference is that the Order has white enamelled arms.

Trust this helps.

George

Coldstream records state that the other medal is Russian - Cross of the Russian Order of St George 3rd class.

which is correct ??? is there a difference ??

yellow

Hi mate,

It is the Russian Cross of St George 3rd Class. The Order of St George is another Russian award that looks a like in white enamel. If you type order of St George in google you will see what I mean.

I didnt write this:

The Cross of St. George, or simply the George's Cross, was, until 1913, officially known as the Sign of Distinction of the Military Order of St. George.

Steve.

Coldstreamer

cheers steve

SteveE

This is how the London Gazette promulgated the award "Cross of the Order of Saint George, 3rd Class."

Steve

Coldstreamer

so does he have the right medal ?

Igor Ostapenko

Do you have picture of 2nd side of Russian cross ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

they where court mounted so looking at the back was difficult and I didnt get a pic of the other medals reverse

yellow

The Cross of Saint George. Associated with the Order of Saint George, but for enlisted men and NCO's, the Cross of Saint George came in 4 classes. Like the Order of St. George, the St. George cross was awarded for acts of distinction under arms. An enlisted man or NCO would be awarded the 4th class cross for his first brave act. A second notable act could then bring him the 3rd class cross, etc. The first class and second class were in gold, the first class with a bow on the ribbon. The third and fourth classes were in silver, the third class marked by a bow. The ribbon was the same as for the order of Saint George.

Over two million Saint George Crosses were distributed during the Great War and before the abdication of the tsar., going to soldiers, nurses and members of the Red Cross. Commanders in the field could award the St. George Cross on the spot.

This is the medal it aint...........

The Order of St. George, Imperial Russia's highest exclusively military order, was instituted in 1769 and came to be considered among the most prestigious military awards in the world, ranking just below the Order of St. Andrew the First Called. The order was awarded to officers and generals for special gallantry, such as, personally leading his troops in rout of a superior enemy force, or capturing a fortress, etc. Before membership in the Order could be granted, a candidate's case had to be investigated by a council composed of Knights of the Order.

The best way I can describe the difference to you mate is by using British medals which you know very well. The comparison is a lot like the MM and DSO. The MM is not an order however the DSO is yet both are awarded for acts of gallantry.

Also each of these crosses is numbered, you need to find a chap called Igor who has a contact in mother Russia who has access to the rolls. Each cross can be traced.

Igor Ostapenko

I need to know the number of st. George cross 3rd class of 5854 L.CPL GEORGE HARRY WYATT, VC

Can you ask in Museum ?

post-7013-1199788183.jpg

Coldstreamer

I will see what I can do

Was hoping to go today but couldnt arrange it - will try for next week

yellow

........the very man.

Igor Ostapenko
........the very man.

I have in my collection photo of another soldier with VC and Russian St. George cross 3rd class -

William Kenny VC

awards of Kenny VC in museum

post-7013-1199885101.jpg

post-7013-1199885163.jpg

Igor Ostapenko

LG 25/08/1915

Crosses of the Order of Saint George, 3rd Class

1226 Serjeant Harry Anderson , 4th Battalion, Rifle Brigade.

37147 Acting Regimental Serjeant-Major Arthur Samuel Barker, A/86th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.

3902 Company Serjeant-Major Frederick Barter, V.C., 1st Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

12413 Private Bernard Behan, 2nd Battalion, West Riding Regiment.

5396 Serjeant James Bennett, 2nd Battalion, Leinster Regiment.

8581 Acting Serjeant Spencer John Bent, V.C., 1st Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment.

9300 Lance-Corporal Walter James Branker, 2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment.

51068 Private John Bushby, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

9204 Private Harry Royal Cannon, 2nd Battalion, The Cameronians( (Scottish Rifles).

9157 Serjeant Charles Percival Parker Clay, 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment.

*M.2/051800 Serjeant-Major Timothy Crawley, Army Service Corps (attached No. 5 Motor Ambulance Convoy, Royal Army Medical Corps).

8383 Lance-Corporal James Donnelly, 1st Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles.

899 Corporal Thomas Duffy, 1st Battalion, Manchester Regiment.

10523 Private Edward Dwyer, V.C., 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment.

7145 Private Arthur Eagleton, 1st Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment.

1426 Corporal of Horse William Eason, Royal Horse Guards.

5637 Regimental Quartermaster-Serjeant (now Lieutenant) Thomas William Fitzpatrick, 2nd Battalion,

Royal Irish Regiment.

15624 Lance-Corporal Wilfred Dolby Fuller, V.C., 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards.

8010 Serjeant (Acting Company Serjeant-Major) John Gannon, 2nd Battalion, Royal Munster Fusiliers.

8631 Serjeant Edward Gardner, 2nd Canadian Infantry Battalion

9139 Lance-Corporal Frederick Edward Garton, 2nd Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment.

8221 Lance-Corporal Hugh Graham, 1st Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers.

10948 Serjeant Albert Frederick Hancock, llth Hussars.

1451 Serjeant James Henderson, 1st Battalion, Royal Highlanders.

5679 Corporal Heron Hudson, 1st Divisional Signal Company, Canadian Contingent.

6874 Acting Corporal James Hunt, 2nd Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment.

56651 Bombardier Frederick Jackson, 29th Battery, Royal Field Artillery.

Subadar Jai Singh, 41st Dogras.

6535 Drummer William Kenny, V.C., 2nd Gordon Highlanders.

337 Havildar Lachman Singh, 47th Sikhs.

9448 Bandsman George Eli Law, 1st Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment.

6611 Company Serjeant-Major Clifford Malins, 1st Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

9917 Corporal William Mansell, 3rd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment.

4438 Company Serjeant-Major Albert Mayston, 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment.

9725 Company Serjeant-Major Alexander McAdam, 1st Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.

9479 Private Robert McRae, 1st Battalion, Cameron Highlanders.

3282 Private James Meston, 6th Dragoon Guards.

Subadar Mir Dast, V.C., I.O.M., 55th Coke's Rifles (attached to 57th Wilde's Rifles).

2077 Private Charles Morrison, 2nd Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers.

10499 Lance-Serjeant William Neill, lst Battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

3556 Serjeant Michael O'Leary, V.C., 1st Battalion, Irish Guards.

4498 Squadron Serjeant-Major William Reeves, 7th Hussars (Permanent Staff, North Somerset Yeomanry, T.F.).

4526 Serjeant Ernest John Rendall, lst Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment.

4967 Acting Lance-Serjeant Albert Seton, 9th Lancers.

18467 Battery Serjeant-Major (now Second Lieutenant) Fredric James Smith, 27th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.

607 Serjeant Charles Utting, 2nd Field Company, Royal Engineers.

32430 Farrier Quartermaster-Serjeant Horatio James S. Watts, llth Battery, Royal Field Artillery.

9022 Bandsman Arthur Woodage, 2nd Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment.

3999 . Squadron Serjeant-Major William Wright, 6th Dragoon Guards.

5854 Lance-Corporal George Harry Wyatt, V.C., 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards.

50 crosses

********************************************************************************

Awards of Edward Dwyer, V.C., 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment

post-7013-1199885555.jpg

Igor Ostapenko

I have in my collection one from these 50 crosses .

post-7013-1199885911.jpg

post-7013-1199885938.jpg