Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proper name for and capacity of this "pouch"

4thGordons

A recent acquisition which I think (hope) is an "ammunition pouch" for soldiers armed with a revolver (Webley etc). 3 questions.

1) Is it?

2) What is its correct name (is it part of the '08 pattern or '14 pattern or.....)

3) Assuming it is what I think what it the "official" capacity in terms of .455" rounds.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hello Chris,

I can confirm thats its the ammo pouch issued for use with the .455 Webley. Introduced March 1913 and originally intended for use by Pipers and Rangetakers only. During the First World War however, they were used by drivers, machine gunners and many other soldiers not issued a rifle. Similiar to the Mk.II Pistol Ammunition Pouch (Infantry) introduced in 1889, these pouches differ in having two brass hooks at the back, in lieu of a leather loop, for attaching to the webbing belt.

As to the capacity, I would guess at a round number: 30?

Sorry for the crispness of my reply, but I'm certain that another forum chum will be more knowledgeable on this subgect.

Seph

Chris

I remember hearing many years ago that after the war the Irish Free State police used 14 patt pistol pouches blackened and with the buckles cut off. Certainly there were quite a few such pouches about at one time. It’s difficult from your picture to see if this one has had a buckle attachment removed, but if it has then that’s probably what you’ve got.

Regards

Wainfleet

Hello all,

The pouch is actually part of the '14 pattern set. It has had the central rear strap removed. Quite a number of these were issued to the Irish Constabulary (and others most likely) after the war. As the strap was not required (they did not wear the baces) they were cut off. The colour is also a clue, it has been blackened to match the Police equipment.

The capacity was 12 rounds.

These are easy to spot because the two other ammo pouches issued for pistol sets had 1. a rear leather belt loop for the '03 pattern set 2. Brass hooks at the rear for the '08 set.

I will post a photo of a complete example shortly.

Regards

Tocemma

Many thanks all. I had wondered about the colour and RIC had crossed my mind.

I asked about the capacity because the pouchwas shallower than I had expected from illustrations.

to answer Greg. no it does not have internal divisions.

thanks to everyone.

Chris