Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.S.Falaba.

stan johnson

Barry, the FALABA suffered a total of 47 crew casualties, 7 of which were picked up and buried ashore, the remaining 40 have no known grave and are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.

Your man Trousdell does not appear on either list, so I assume he was a passenger.

Best wishes

David

David, Martin.

Thank you very much for your help. I see he is listed as a passenger - returning to Nigeria from UK leave. His full name was William Hugh Cornwallis Trousdell. His three younger brothers served in WWI. One died, one was awarded an MC, and one a DSO and MC.

Thanks again, Barry

Barry.

A family who served their country well, and then some.

To round things off, here's a list of survivors from The Times. Like the casualty list, usual caveats apply about inaccuracies of newspaper reports, etc., etc.

TheTimes_30Mar1915_Falaba_List_Of_Survivors.png

Unfortunately the quality of this one is not great.

regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I found this site whilst looking for info on SS Falabar. My great great uncle was supposed to have been a survivor of the sinking. According to the family tale he turned up at the family home in his stocking feet. Donald Campbelle Mc Dougall was a merchant in the West Indies and I presume on his way home. I have go so much info from these postings already but wondered if anybody knew of more photos, particularly the 1st class passengers.

Thanks for any help. I am looking forward to investigating the site further.

• 8 months later...

Here is one of the casualties who is just about to be submitted as a non commemorated

Chris

post-4020-1236874716.png

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Barry,

Trousdell is commemorated on a family memorial in Boxley church Kent. His brother, AJ Trousdell served in 1 RIF with my grandfather.

Ben

• 9 years later...

Every source I've looked at gives a death toll of 104. However Wrecksite.eu while giving 104 actually lists 109 by name, This can be reduced to 107 by taking out two repetitions. 53 crew died, that seems certain leaving either 51 or 54 passengers.