Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quarter Master Serjeant

alliekiwi

I realise things change over time.

During WW1 - or at least part of WW1 - was Quarter Master Serjeant a rank? Or was it always a title, and the rank held by the man in question was actually Serjeant or Staff Serjeant?

What about Lance Serjeant?

Were there other ranks/titles that have changed since then that might confuse a researcher of today where the same title is used now, but not as a rank as it was then? (If you get what I mean)

Allie

I realise things change over time.

During WW1 - or at least part of WW1 - was Quarter Master Serjeant a rank? Or was it always a title, and the rank held by the man in question was actually Serjeant or Staff Serjeant?

What about Lance Serjeant?

Were there other ranks/titles that have changed since then that might confuse a researcher of today where the same title is used now, but not as a rank as it was then? (If you get what I mean)

Allie

Hi Allie

Company Quartermaster Serjeant was an appointment, his rank was Staff Serjeant, this is the rank between Serjeant and WO2, Staff Serjeants in infantry regiments are normaly titled Colour Serjeant. A CQMS is the second senior Non Commisioned Officer in a rifle company. He is responsible for the feeding, watering and quartering for his company. The rank and appointment is still current

Tom

Allie

As well as the CQMS there was a RQMS, who performed similar functions at battalion or equivalent level. He became a WO2 on creation of that rank in 1915.

Lance-Serjeant was an appointment, given to corporals and carrying extra pay. It was abolished in 1946 although I think it survives in the Guards, where all corporals wear three stripes.

Lance-Corporal was also an appointment, given to selected privates or equivalent. Although considered by most people as a rank it did not actually become one until 1967.

Lance appointments could be revoked by a commanding officer, whereas reduction in rank could only be done by court-martial.

Serjeant was actually the official spelling used in King's Regulations and the Pay Warrant. It still survived in Queen's Regulations 1955, although the "modern" spelling was often used much earlier, even in the Official History, and was always the correct spelling in the RAF.

The post of brigadier-general, later brigadier, was also only an appointment.

Ron

As well as the CQMS there was a RQMS, who performed similar functions at battalion or equivalent level. He became a WO2 on creation of that rank in 1915.

So we have a chap who is known as a CQMS, but his actual rank is Staff Serjeant? Then there's a chap who is called a RQMS, but his rank was actually WO2 (1915 onwards)?

Thanks for the explanation about the Lance ranks.

Tom, I'm glad I amused. It nearly always comes out spelt with a j for me - no idea why! :)

Allie

I like the more archaic version of Serjeant as well - have it on the 1914 Star of one set of medals I have as "Sjt."

So we have a chap who is known as a CQMS, but his actual rank is Staff Serjeant? Then there's a chap who is called a RQMS, but his rank was actually WO2 (1915 onwards)?

Thanks for the explanation about the Lance ranks.

Tom, I'm glad I amused. It nearly always comes out spelt with a j for me - no idea why! :)

Allie

Hi Allie

There is a real difference in the duties of a CQMS and RQMS, in that a CQMS reports direct to his company commander and is part of the Company Commanders “O” (orders group) he is directly responsible for the re-supply forward to his company. The battalion Quartermaster (an officer) reports direct to the Commanding Officer. The RQMS is an extra layer of management, and is the Quartermasters senior assistant

Tom