Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/RWF cuff rank tunic

dutchbarge

Hello, I'm going back to the well again for some more help. The tunic pictured below belonged to Lord C A E Fitzroy (eventually 10th Duke of Grafton). Lt. Fitzroy went to war commanding III platoon, A company, 2/RWF but was invalided home and promoted Captain Nov 1915. From Feb 1916 he became ADC to Governor General South Africa. (Thanks awfully to GRUMPY for this and other very helpful information.) The Governor General granted him the temporary local rank of Major. Upon return to Regimental duty he was posted as a Captain which was his rank upon resignation of his commission in 1921. Lots more to this story but that's for another day.

My question is this: As this tunic was worn by Fitzroy from Feb 1916 as ADC what type of cap would he have worn with this tunic? Please see picture of the cap (posted after this one) I now display with this uniform. Would this be correct? The chinstrap is different than other OSD caps in my collection and one collector has told me that it is actually an OR's cap.

Thanks and Cheers, Bill

post-21989-1196210018.jpg

post-21989-1196210059.jpg

Here's the photo of the cap.

Do you have any pictures of the interior of the cap? It displays most features normally seen on Officers caps, but the chinstrap is the style normally seen only on OR's caps.

The strap is not correct, as noted. I'm not certain that a major woul have the crown and lion cap device, perhaps should be the RWF cap badge, the red staff band is correct for the gorgets. I believe the lion and crown are for staff Colonels or higher? I am curious about the red service chevron as these were not insituted until 1918, so if he had a red 1914 entitlement there should also be at least 3 blue chevrons as well?

the tails are nice, are they sewn to the collar? I have a tropical/temperate tunic to a RWF Major and the tails button underneath the collar, very tidy.

Scott

The crown and lion, red band and gorget patches are correct for an ADC to a Governor-General.

The "overseas" service chevrons were, I believe, only given for service in a theatre of operations, so staff or garrison duties would not count. This would explain the absence of blue chevrons.

Ron

the tails are nice, are they sewn to the collar? I have a tropical/temperate tunic to a RWF Major and the tails button underneath the collar, very tidy.

tails? tails!? TAILS ?????!!!!!!!

The flash is the flash is the flash!

tails? tails!? TAILS ?????!!!!!!!

The flash is the flash is the flash!

Sorry Grumpy, I have always in my youth in Canada heard of them refered to as 'Taisl' from the revolutionary war days of the 'pigtails & tapes'. I shall modify my use ever after. Cheers,

The strap is not correct, as noted. I'm not certain that a major woul have the crown and lion cap device, perhaps should be the RWF cap badge, the red staff band is correct for the gorgets. I believe the lion and crown are for staff Colonels or higher? I am curious about the red service chevron as these were not insituted until 1918, so if he had a red 1914 entitlement there should also be at least 3 blue chevrons as well?

Hello, The flash is sewn to the collar. Cheers, Bill

Do you have any pictures of the interior of the cap? It displays most features normally seen on Officers caps, but the chinstrap is the style normally seen only on OR's caps.

More cap pictures. I removed the red band and staff badge for a better look. Cheers, Bill

post-21989-1196305427.jpg

More pics, Cheers, Bill

post-21989-1196305894.jpg

I'm pretty certain that's a private purchase OR's cap, probably made in somewhere like India where they could be made up relatively cheaply. I have a very similar one in Officer material, and with a nice quilted liner, but definately worn by an OR.

I agree with Andrew, plus I think the cap is later (20s/30s) on account of the strap width and the peak size/shape, being large/spade-shaped instead of small/crescent-shaped.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Nov 30 2007, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Presumably the jacket also sports a wound stripe?

Hello, Fitzroy was not wounded but was suffering from acute nasal inflammation (sinusitis) and severe headaches/fainting brought on by same. Surgery was proscribed as he was, in addition to these very real disabilities, diagnosed as being haemophiliac. Amazing, given his condition, that he was able to endure the retreat from Mons as well as he did. One might think that haemophilia would be enough to stay out of harms way! Thus, dispite his being invalidated, he received no wound stripe. (Thanks GRUMPY for all this information!) Cheers, BIll