Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Time to Ypres

KIRKY

Hi plannnig a trip to Ypres next Spring or Summer with my 84 year old fussy eating father! ( and 17 year old son)

Can anyone recommend a good B&B or small hotel with recommendation of where to take my Dad for food? Went to Normandy with him and he hated the food, all that garlic!!

Tony

Tony.

For accomodation it depends on your transport and price range.

If you have a car and don't mind driving in and out of Ypres in the evening then Varlet Farm is highly recommended by many people (Charlotte is lovely and the breakfasts are so large your Dad will possibly not need to eat for the rest of the day!).

If you don't fancy driving in the evening and want to stay in Ypres itself then I like B&B Hortensia down by the Lille Gate.

There are plenty of places to eat in Ypres including a Chinese and an Italian and personally I don't find the general Belgian dishes have much (if any) garlic in them.

Have a great trip.

Neil

Its fun to watch the staff of the chippy when you ask for vineagar.

They watch in disgust as they only use it for cleaning !

Highly recommend the chinese although the service is poor.

Mick D

Thanks for info so far, looks like Dad will not starve!

Like look of the first place on Hudsonwhistles post.

Thanks again.

tony

I can heartily endorse staying at Varlet Farm. Not only is Charlotte wonderful, and the breakfasts huge, but she puts out cling-film expecting you to make a packed lunch.

As for eating in the evening, probably after the Last Post, I like the restaurant behind the Cloth Hall, three doors down from the Belgian War Memorial, named something Flemish Like t'Gansike. There is no garlic, the omlettes will have you egg-bound and the meat on a stick is great. It also sells Kwak...to which your Father should be introduced (if not your son!) and you can enjoy him trying to work out how to drink it. It is worth the effort!

Bruce

Hi,

I stayed last week with Liz and John Millward at the Cherry Blossom B & B in the village of Brandhoek near Vlamertinghe, just a couple of miles west of Ypres. Liz cooks the evening meal and John the breakfasts and John also keeps a good stock of excellent Belgian beer. Thoroughly recommended.

their web site is:

http://www.cherryblossom.be/

and email is:

liz@cherryblossom.be

Regards

Steve

:P Thanks again for the advice, but what is Kwak??

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Ypres has a chippy, so he should be OK. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, 't Kattekwaad chippy! The stewing steak and chips is absolutely magnificent :D:D

Just back from a few days in Ypres myself. Bit cold and wet but as enjoyable as ever.

We stayed at the Sultan and ate there one night, which was good.

Also the one over the other side of the square, on the corner of Diksmuidsestraat (right hand corner as you stand with your back to the square) - can't remember the name but it had a red canopy and the food was excellent.

Kirky

Kwack

is a rather nice drop of strong ale mmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tafski

That comes in a rather funky minature yard-of-ale glass ,the ball of which causes the beer to bubble and remain lively to the very end. Drink it by holding the wooden stand (not by removing the glass from it like a tourist! :P ).

It's certainly mid-table, division 2 in my own personal preferences (OK, it may be a contender for a play-off place), but some on this forum seem to think its wonderful.

Dave

If you want Good Food,A Decent Clean Billet,All approx 5 Minutes walk from the Menin Gate,the i would heartily Endorse Hotel "Old Tom"...Great Value for Money,and you are right in the Centre of Ypres itself,not stuck out in the Sticks.Check out the Forum Section on Places to Go and Stay.

I have stayed at Sultan a couple of times and Ariane several, I really like being right there on the market square but had to park some distance away, at Ariane can park there.