from Lewis War Memorial

Seaman JOHN MACIVER

Last address in Lewis: 34 Breasclete,

Regiment or division: Royal Naval Reserve, HMT Resono

Date of death: 25 December 1915 at the age of 47

Drowned in sinking of minesweeper in the North Sea

Left 5 orphans

taken from previous forums

RESONO was lost on 26 Dec 1915 at 51-51N, 1-38E on a mine laid by submarine UC 5.

ARNOLD HOWARD J. TELEGRAPHIST, RNVR LONDON Z 957 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BARKER ALBERT ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 1649 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BEAMISH ERNEST J. TRIMMER, RNR T S 372 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BEAVAN WILLIAM DECK HAND, RNR S D 2697 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BOWLES HENRY TRIMMER, RNR T S 3761 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BURGON PETER TY/SKIPPER, RNR RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

COOK DANIEL R. ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 1634 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

CULLEN JOHN SECOND HAND, RNR S A 860 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

MCIVER JOHN SEAMAN, RNR D 1919 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

NETHERTON JOHN T. DECK HAND, RNR D A 2732 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

ORME THOMAS A.B. (RFR B 2343) 156474 (Ch) RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

PETERSEN JOSEPH W. TRIMMER, RNR T S 912 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

ROBERTSON GILBERT L/SEAMAN, RNR C 1450 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

Paul

hello paul, thankyou for that info. do you know if there was an attempted rescue, i have just been looking at the rosono,s log books for 1913 at our archives in grimsby when my grandfather was 3rd hand on her, i am looking into ships histories, we have all the trawlers log books from 1884 to 1914 here and they make fascinating reading, it is after 1914 it gets more difficult, well thanks for the info. again, regards, john

hello paul, thankyou for that info. do you know if there was an attempted rescue, i have just been looking at the rosono,s log books for 1913 at our archives in grimsby when my grandfather was 3rd hand on her, i am looking into ships histories, we have all the trawlers log books from 1884 to 1914 here and they make fascinating reading, it is after 1914 it gets more difficult, well thanks for the info. again, regards, john

Hello John

She was owned by George F. Sleight of Grimsby (GY 508) until January 1915 when she was requisitioned by the Admiralty as Minesweeper No.FY 1042; built by Cook, Welton & Gemmell at Beverley in 1910.

Cheers Ron

Hello John - See this previous topic Here,

Just to add this was a Grimsby trawler port No. GY 508, one of G. F. Sleight's, initially all their vessel names began with 'R' -------, later they changed to all starting with 'R' and ending with 'O' eg. R-------O.

Cheers, Terry

Hello John - See this previous topic Here,

Just to add this was a Grimsby trawler port No. GY 508, one of G. F. Sleight's, initially all their vessel names began with 'R' -------, later they changed to all starting with 'R' and ending with 'O' eg. R-------O.

Cheers, Terry

Hi John

Final Patrol of HMS E6:

By late 1915 the British Admiralty had decided that German U-boats would have to reach the North Sea via Horns Reef. On Christmas Day 1915, 30-years old Lt.Cdr. W. J. Foster in HM Submarine E6 was ordered to proceed to the area of Horns Reef to intercept any U-boats passing that way. Foster left Harwich in E6 on the 26th of December and his patrol was due to last approximately six days, weather permitting. The area around Harwich had previously been mined and earlier that same morning the requisitioned armed trawler RESONO (Admiralty No.1042) had detonated a mine and been lost with all hands in that same vicinity. A patrolling torpedo boat had seen E6 leaving and warned Lt.Cdr. Foster that he was heading into danger, but it appears either the advice was not passed on, or Lt.Cdr. Foster ignored the warning and continued on course. The crew of the torpedo boat watched as E6 detonated a mine and disappeared in a ball of smoke, leaving only some oil and flotsam on the surface. In all thirty-eight lives were lost.

The Kaiser’s Imperial U-boat UC 5 had laid the minefield earlier and was also responsible for the field that sank the British destroyer HMS LIGHTNING off Kentish Knock on 30 June 1915.

However nemesis was waiting in the wings for UC 5 also.

Cheers Ron

hello all, thankyou so much for that info. it clears it up nicely, once again thanks for all your help, regards, john

• 8 months later...

John, award to Lt. WORLEY / RESONO in Dover Patrol ;

WORLEY George N/E Lt. RNR 84S052 Resono

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 14.07.16 Gazetted

Auxiliary Patrols 01.01.15 - 31.01.16 DSC

For services in the Dover Auxiliary Patrol.

Regards Sadsac

• 5 years later...

I've discovered my great-grandfather's wife's brother was Deck Hand William Charles Augustus BEAVAN SD.2697 who was killed on the Resono. I'm having trouble finding a service record or a photo of him, sadly. Thank you to the posters above for the information, I'll keep looking.

• 1 year later...
Guest Poppy62

William Charles Augustus Beavan was my maternal great-grandfather. I don't think my family has any photos of him though.