The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Artillery; D Battery Anti-Aircraft Battery location 1915

Guest tim123

My grandfather was on the Western Front with the RMA from Sept 1915 and wrote a diary intermittently. His first battery location where he was stationed from at least Sept - Nov 1915 is named Tombstones and in the text appears to be in the vicinity of Kruistraat....this may be Kruistraat town south of Ypres, maybe Kruistraat craters to the east, or another "crossroads".

I've had no luck tracking this location. Can anyone help ?

Tim

Tim,

Welcome to the GWF

Ask your library to get hold of "Britain's Sea Soldiers" by Gen Sir H. E. Blumberg [reprinted in 2006 by the Naval & Military Press]

Chapter 25 covers the Anti-Aircraft Brigade, RMA

My copy of the book has only just arrived, but dipping in at this chapter I see that, as you say, on 28th Sept the first section of 'D' Battery under Lt. M. D. Quill was completed and "moved to Ypres, and took up a position near 'C' Battery." Previously 'C' battery have been mentioned as "26-28th .....took part in the second attack on Bellewarde"

On the 29th the HQ and second section of 'D' arrived to relieve 'C' which returned to Dunkirk to rest and train new personnel

From 1st October, 'D' battery is said to be "in position at Ypres, but on 2nd one gun went to Abeele to protect the aerodrome there"

best regards

Michael

continuing........

On 1st November the position of 'D' Battery is given as

1st Section - south-west corner of Ypres

2nd Section - Belge Farm

one gun of No. 1 Section at Abeele Aerodrome. [Abeele is just about half way between Poperinge and Steenvoorde]

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Many thanks Michael, I very much appreciate your help.

I now think that Tombstones must be on the edge of Ypres town as I now notice in the diary that there is mention of the moat, premusably the one around the south of the town. Apparently dead fish could be retrieved from the water after German shelling !

Tim

Tim,

The British soldiers loved to play fast and loose with the local names eg; 'Wipers' for Ypres

Letting the imagination rip, so to speak, how's this for a possibility?

They turn the Abeele section into 'Abilene' and the other section into 'Tombstone'

names which they pinched from two of America's wild west towns famous for their gun-slingers

Just an idle thought on a particularly idle morning

More seriously, I wonder if there is a unit War Diary somewhere which might help you

and secondly, you could try the Royal Marines Museum to see what they have

best of luck

Michael

• 1 year later...

Tim / Michael,

This Topic is about Samuel Hugh NEWMAN, who was also in the Royal Marine Artillery Anti-Aircraft Brigade:

Samuel Hugh Newman, Unit identification

I'm adding a link here as you are both likely to be interested, but also in case you have any further info on this man, who was a Mechanic in the unit.

Cheers,

Mark