Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aisne Battle at Vailly trench map Sept 1914

The Guardroom

Could anyone please help with a snap shot of the Vailly area in Sept 1914.

Have had a quick search on the WWW but not anything specific found.

I am particlualrly interested in the actions around 22nd Sept north of the town, where I understand the frontline was.

Many thanks.

Alan

Alan

Do you have a Battalion/soldier in mind ? It may focus any replies if you have specifics. For instance knowing the Bn will put a possibility of a War Diary look-up in the frame,and War Diaries often have trench maps.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate,

Yes the area I am trying to find a trench map for in Sept 1914 is just north of Vailly where the 1st East Kents went into teh friont line for the first time.

I was hoping someone on the forum may have had the trench map CD and that one may appear on there.

• Admin

There aren't really trench maps for that time, and as the Aisne is deeply unfashionable and forgotten by all but a few maps are unlikely to feature in a collection IMHO. There are quite often sketch maps in the war diaries.

Michelle

Alan

I will see what I can find. Hopefully the original Diary is on offer,then the bits and pieces such as sketches and diagrams can be viewed. If it's digital I have yet to see a trench diagram/map included among the journal pages copied. I HOPE someone here knows differently and I have just been unlucky !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

• Admin

I have some maps- I can't scan them now, but I'll do it tomorrow -please pm me your email address. Getting on the computer at night is fraught- got to work around kids homework!

Regards

Michelle

• Admin

Maps sent just now.

Michelle

Alan

The War Diary WO95/1608 was a bit thin on info. I have digipic'd the 2 pages of Journal which represent September 1914 and will send them to you if you PM me your e-mail address. The first contact with the enemy was within 24 hours of arrival in trenches at ENGLISH POSITION, N. of VAILLY.Buffs trenches were attacked by Germans at 2000 until 2215. This "severe" attack was repulsed leaving 2 Off and 5 OR wounded and 2 OR killed.

October's Diary was also just a Journal of around 5 pages all the way through,no extra docs or diagrams.near end of month moved to RADINGHEM.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

PS I view of my comment here on 28th about digital War Diaries I have to report that I SAW diagrams other than a Journal in one yesterday ! My first encounter, though I still suspect that by no means ALL of these additional aids are copied.