Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Tank Corps Casualty

DavoT

Some help from the knowledgeable in this area please. Researching 306173 SGT W.J. Davis formerly Royal Engineers. Wanting to know numbering system in the Tank Corps. I was informed from my thread in Units and formations to try this area as given his high number was possibly transferred to Tank Corps some time in 1918 - any help appreciated. SGT Davis was KIA 29 Sep 1918.

Thanks in advance,

David

Hello Les,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I have all that information. I'm trying to track down if the Tank Corps had certain numbering block allocations in order to help find out when he transferred from the Engineers to Tanks. You'll notice that SDGW reflects him as James William too but his medals and CWGC has William James.

Cheers,

David

The RE number is 1917 onwards so at least some time 1917 or 1918. (3rd Wesssex Field Company by the way).

Steve.

Hi Steve,

thanks for that, any idea on his Tankee number? Seems like he might have been a later enlistee into the army!

David

I also think the Tank Corps number is 1918, but can't really narrow it down much.

I think from an overall enlistment point of view, he was an EARLY enlister. The 3rd Wessex Field Company recieved number range 508001 to 510000 in 1917, and men were renumbered in order of chronological seniority. So James/William was the 38th man of the 3rd Wessex Field Company to be renumbered in 1917. This almost certainly makes him a pre-war R.E. member. Having said that it does seem that he didn't go overseas until late in the war for some reason (age, illness, exemption, etc.)

Steve.

Thanks for that. These little snippets of information always help with the continued researching of the person behind the medal/s. It shall continue.

David