Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS or ss Basil

daggers

Can anyone please help with information on a vessel named Basil, in which "Chief Steward JD Clarke" is named on our church memorial. He is not listed in CWGC. I think Merchant is more likely than Royal, given his rank.

Daggers

Another thank you for a rapid response. This one helps to clarify a query on our Memorial and may lead to a Non-commem. Its been a rewarding morning!

Daggers

The site Stephen gives a link to says 13 crewmen were lost.

The ShipsList says 42:

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/booth.html

Basil (2) 1895 ex- Mourne, 1898 purchased from Dixon & Sons, Belfast, renamed Basil, 1917 collided with and sunk by SS Margaux in the English Channel; loss of 42 lives. 3,223 tons

I've gone through the mercantile marine memorials & only found:

Portsmouth

FLAHERTY, Seaman, COLMAN, 8605A. S.S. "Basil.". Royal Naval Reserve. Drowned in collision 11th November 1917. Age 23. Son of Myles and Margaret Flaherty, of Dynish, Lettermullen, Co. Galway. 27.

Are there more non-coms?

Kath.

Kath

My thanks to you as well. I have been trying to get more on JD Clarke, so as to apply for a death cert, but need either his first names or date of birth and have neither. Next stop - local papers in case of any report. Any better ideas?

Daggers

Kath

Thanks for the steer. I had an expired account but have renewed it only to find no trace of Clarke/Basil for '17 or '18. Now scratching head for next move.

Daggers.

Daggers,

Doubt that CWGC commemortaion is likely for the merchant marine saiors lost on Basil, as the ship was lost through a conventional maritime hazard -- collision -- as opposed to a war-related cause like mine or torpedo. The RNR gunners on board would, of course, be eligible.

Best wishes,

Michal

Michal

Thanks for the thought. The information given earlier included a comment that the colliding ships were blacked out with no navigation lights - surely a wartime restriction which might have a bearing on eligibility. I still need a death cert, though, and am going back to square one, the church source to find more about Clarke.

Daggers

Daggers

As always, this could be a red herring, but there is a John D Clarke, aged 13, on the 1901 census living at 9, Alfred Street (just off Picton Road). His father, also John, is a Ship Smith. That would put him as about 30 when the "Basil" went down, so the age is about right.

Where's the memorial? Did you say it was down Aigburth way?

Stephen

Yes. St Anne's [CofE] Church, Aigburth Road. There are many discrepancies between the inscribed book, the carved stone plaque [internal] and other sources such as CWGC and SDGW. I have tried to suggest possibilities for all the names but a few have had me worried since I first went through them. This is one. I know of several where there seems no logical connection with the parish/district, but it may be that workplaces would be a clue.

Picton Road is well off the map as far as residence goesbut the family may have moved into Aigburth between 1901 and 1917, so I shall have a look at other sources at the central library.

All grist to the mill.

Daggers

• 15 years later...

Hi all, the man you refer to is my great grandfather. John Darlington Clarke who went down on the as basil after a collision. 

I would appreciate any information that you might have found during your search? 

many thanks 

Dawn 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The original poster, daggers, has died, (hence RIP under his name) but I see that ZizmeRD has given you some help.