Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Under Fire

paul guthrie

Some consider this a GW classic. I have a very cheap edition from Everyman's Library translated by Fitzwater Wray. A previous I think French reading owner wrote in it that the translation is terrible. Well either he's right or consensus is wrong because this is nearly unreadable. I lean much to the former since knowledgeable people think it's a fine book.

Guest Simon Bull

I tried to read this book in translation in my teens. At that time I was studying French in the Sixth Form and the combination of my interest in French and the First World War led me to try to read it. Like Paul I found it extremely heavy going, and, in the end, I gave up.

I recently decided to try again to read it, but my local library did not have a copy, so I did not get around to it.

Simon Bull

This book was also recommended to me in sixth form (many moons ago) by an older friend who was 'into heavy literature' ... tried hard but found it a real slog. I got the impression he was trying to impress me with his superior literary knowledge rather than simply recommending a good book. Maybe I should try it again now I'm older and less easily bored!

Hi,

I have a new translation by Robin Buss. Wray's translation, in 1917 (Sassoon actually read it while in service) was written in Victorian style for an Edwardian audience. Buss has brought the translation up to date, making the text 'more accessible to our generation.'

From the introduction:

Wray:

'So now,' says Paradis, Joseph's left alone, out of six brothers. And I'll tell you what- I don't think he'll stop long. The lad won't take care of himself- he'll get himself done in. A lucky wound's got to drop on him from the sky, otherwise he's corpsed...'

Buss:

'That way,' Paradis says, 'Joseph is the only one of six brothers to survive. And I'll tell you something else, I don't think he'll be the only one for long. That kid won't look after himself, he'll get himself bumped off. What he needs is for God to send him a lucky wound, or else he's buggered...'

Steve.