Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification

Guest Picasso666

Guest Picasso666

Can anyone help with the identification of the regiments in the attached photographs. I believe they must be Scots and from the cut of the tunics they could be from different regiments.post-27671-1195998616.jpg

post-27671-1195998644.jpg

The first two are Royal Scots Fusilers, and I think the other is Highland Light Infantry (tho' I may well be wrong).

The two ate the top have the 'Emglish'-style jacket, whereas chappie below has the cut-away version used by Scots units.

(Wait for the experts to wade in and prove me wrong :lol: )

Right first time,

Royal Scots Fusilers, at the top dressed correctly as Lowlanders, the bottom uniform is Highland Light Infantry they were not kilted, with the exception of two of their battalions, they considered themselves Highland so wore the Highland cut jacket

Tom

It appears to me that the fellow sitting on the bench in the upper photo is the same fellow shown standing in the lower photo. The facial features look identical. If indeed the same chap, the uniform he is wearing differs from one photo to another so they were obviously taken at different times. Did these photos come from a family collection?

Guest Picasso666
It appears to me that the fellow sitting on the bench in the upper photo is the same fellow shown standing in the lower photo. The facial features look identical. If indeed the same chap, the uniform he is wearing differs from one photo to another so they were obviously taken at different times. Did these photos come from a family collection?

Yes they do come from a family collection. We are in the process of linking names with faces, but are unsure which side of the family they are from. Now we have an idea of the regiments, we may through Army records, identify these individuals.