CAMPION, JOHN JAMES

Initials: J J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 55th Div.

Date of Death: 01/03/1919

Service No: T/18474

Hi All,

I'm researching the abov man who incidently came from the same avenue as a VC winner.

Can anyone shed some light onto the fact that he died so long (4 months) after the war?...was it not the case to get as many injurded back to British soil asap?

also can someone shed lighton the rank-"Warrant Officer Class I (S.S.M.)"

Also if anyone is going near HEVERLEE drop me a line!

cheers

Mark

Hello,

He was probably part of the British Army that stayed in Belgium or occupied Germany...

Jan

Mark

The British Army has two classes of Warrant Officer (I and II).

As a WOI he would have been a very important man in his Corps.

Garth

Mark..........Are you absolutely sure his death was due to his active service pre November 1918................My guess would be that the most common reason for a soldiers death at this time would have something to do with the influenza epidemic............Is he listed on SDGW?....that might shed light as to whether he died of wounds or not.

Hi Will,

I have the chaps death penny and he isnt listed in the soldiers died disc....does this add anything?

cheers

Mark

Typical..............SDGW is notoriously bad for listing post 1918 deaths...........I am unsure whether death plaques were issued for non combat related deaths.... Perhaps one of the Pals with specific knowledge on death plagues might be able to clarify this

Can someone shed lighton the rank-"Warrant Officer Class I (S.S.M.)"

Hi,

S.S.M. = Squadron Sergeant Major

No doubt he served with a horse transport section - this appears to be confirmed by his T prefix.

As regards death plaques for non-combat casulaties; what consistutes non-combat? I have a plaque to a man killed on active service due to collision between warships at sea, but no enemy vessels were involved.

Rgds,

Alex.

As regards death plaques for non-combat casulaties; what consistutes non-combat? I have a plaque to a man killed on active service due to collision between warships at sea, but no enemy vessels were involved.

Alex..........Sorry didn't make myself too clear..................I mean non-combat related deaths post 11th November 1918 i.e. dying from illness (Influenza, Malaria etc)