Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

possible non comm....

Drummy

I'm sure its me having a bad day searching on CWGC can anyone find the following man:

Patrick Duffy,

CQMS 6427, 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles.

KIA at Dublin, Ireland on 30th April 1916.

Awarded DCM.

Many thanks

Why say he was a Non Combatant. The Irish Easter Rising ended on this day and Dublin was in shambles with sniping and open war against the British.

Regards.

Tom.,

Tom, you have misunderstood my abbreviation sorry I was refering to a possible non commemoration by CWGC. I had reckoned patrick had died during the Easter rising with SDGW recording him as KIA.

Thanks Neil.

Thanks for checking John, possibly one of the first potential non comms found under the In from the Cold Project launch, I will hang fire on any further SDGW research until assigned my batch..... In relation to this soldier do you wish me to send Terry an IFCP form listing him in isolation? Thanks Neil.

Thanks for checking John, possibly one of the first potential non comms found under the In from the Cold Project launch, I will hang fire on any further SDGW research until assigned my batch..... In relation to this soldier do you wish me to send Terry an IFCP form listing him in isolation? Thanks Neil.

Could this be him? An undiscovered alias?

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=900679

geoff

Or .. Is the source info reliable?

Coyle was killed but a J T Duffy Royal Irish Rifles was wounded. Have the two names been mixed up?

As per the casualty list from "1916 Rebellion Handbook".

Just checked London Gazette and the award of the DCM is listed in the gazette dated 23 June 1915 as Sgt 6247 J. Coyle, 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles, won on the Western Front.

Thanks Neil

Both the SDGW and CWGC candidates have same date of death, rank and award of DCM, as well as same regt and both listed as Ireland - place of death, alias seems likely

Terry, will pm you re the SA War info, thanks for reply, superb.

• 12 years later...

Evidence, if it was needed, that an alias was used in this case:

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.f94825c544991cd8ed8291a571475bd5.jpg

Fold3_Page_1-1.jpg.54dfba3cffc7f7d21fddc000a9b607eb.jpg