Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Bn.

DRUMGOR

I HAVE ATTACHED PHOTOGRAPH OF A HEADSTONE RELATING TO A SOLDIER FROM LURGAN WHO WAS KILLED ON THE 24/11/1914, HIS NAME WAS SAMUEL ALEXANDER AND WAS ATTACHED TO THE East Lancashire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Bn.

This photograph was in the possession of my great uncle Archie Lyness and after some research in the local newspaper I discovered he was a once a footballer who played for Glenavon Football Club Lurgan.

The article refers to “ Lurgan Footballer Killed “.

The sisters of private Samuel Alexander of THE East Lancashire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Btn, who resides in George St Lurgan received official intimation on Tuesday that there brother who was with the British Expeditionary Force had been killed in the trenches, he was killed instantaneously by a shot through a loop - hole.

Signed Neville A. Leeson Lieut. A Coy 1st Bat E.L.R

I would be interested how a young man from Lurgan County Armagh N.Ireland belonged to East Lancashire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Bn.

Douglas.

post-6865-1195915040.jpg

There's no mention of him in the Commonwealth War Graves site - strange. have you any more info about him?? There are attestation papers for a Samuel Alexander from Inch Co Down in the Ancestry site. Do you have a DOB? The one on ANcestry is for the Inniskillings though!

Further to my last, found him in CWG. Had put full name in, in stead of initial Doh! His grave is in Lancashire Cottage cemetery and his parents names are with his record. Doesn't explain why he joined that reg. though and he isn't the one in the Innikillings. He was only 25 when he died.

Thanks for the reply, you mention attestation papers, are these available on-line or have these to be requested via his regiment.

Douglas.

You say he was "attached". That indicates to me that he may have been a member of another regt or unit.

How did you ascertain which Company in the East Lancs be belonged to?

expat pom

I HAVE ATTACHED PHOTOGRAPH OF A HEADSTONE RELATING TO A SOLDIER FROM LURGAN WHO WAS KILLED ON THE 24/11/1914, HIS NAME WAS SAMUEL ALEXANDER AND WAS ATTACHED TO THE East Lancashire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Bn.

This photograph was in the possession of my great uncle Archie Lyness and after some research in the local newspaper I discovered he was a once a footballer who played for Glenavon Football Club Lurgan.

The article refers to “ Lurgan Footballer Killed “.

The sisters of private Samuel Alexander of THE East Lancashire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Btn, who resides in George St Lurgan received official intimation on Tuesday that there brother who was with the British Expeditionary Force had been killed in the trenches, he was killed instantaneously by a shot through a loop - hole.

Signed Neville A. Leeson Lieut. A Coy 1st Bat E.L.R

I would be interested how a young man from Lurgan County Armagh N.Ireland belonged to East Lancashire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Bn.

Douglas.

SDGW records:

Name: Samuel Alexander

Number: 9224

Regt: East Lancashire Regiment

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Born: Lurgan, Co. Amagh, Ireland

Enlisted: Lurgan

Died Date: 24 Nov 1914

Died How: Killed in action

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Doug